Yucky food thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like venison. It's a really nice red meat. Most people that I have served it to didn't realize it wasn't beef until I told them.

Now I hear that venison from a deer that a hunter put across the hood of his car and then drove home a hundred miles or more tastes some peculiar. :ermm: :LOL:

kadesma said:
As a kid I loved head cheese ate it every time I could. One day I came home from school went to the refrigerator to get a glass of lemonade, opened the door and there staring at me was one big hogs head eyes and all intact. I bet my screams can still be heard echoing over the years. I've never eaten that yuk again. Same with the bear paw someone gave gramps to cook for us.YUKITY YUK YUK:LOL: And as for my grandmother who tried to serve me my pet rabbit, lord love her that was hard to forgive or eat. I didn't it was hard going to bed before dark and with growling tummy
kades

OMG! Fatal Attraction revisited! Pet bunny, how traumatic! Did your mom boil the whole pig's head too? Think all the pig parts is a German thing.

OMG! Fatal Attraction revisited! Pet bunny, how traumatic! Did your mom boil the whole pig's head too? Think all the pig parts is a German thing.
I have no idea. That beauty was ready to eat when I met it:LOL:
kades

Never had a kishka that I enjoyed.
I live in an area that grows both cauliflower and lima beans. When fresh picked, they are quite tasty steamed and buttered. I guess many people have never tasted garden fresh versions of these veggies.
Diving / sea ducks and brant are about the only game meat that I dislike (truly neither fish nor fowl).

Last edited:
Also adding
Cole slaw
Macaroni salad
Ketchup
Mustard
deviled eggs
Rhutabegas
hominy
tarter sauce

You think it's an invalid assumption that many people have not tasted lima beans and cauliflower that has been picked less than 24 hours prior to consumption?

I got the impression from your post that you were suggesting people who disliked lima beans and cauliflower would like them if they tasted the fresher versions you have available in your area. That's what I thought was not valid.

Also
sweet potatos
bread and butter pickles
Sweet pickles
Cream of wheat
Cooked bell pepper..although i like it raw

I'll try most anything once. The worst thing I have ever tried was chitlins. They smell exactly like they taste, and they taste exactly like where they come from.

Some cultures eat cats and dogs. Even raise them for food. That is too close to cannibalism for me.

As a kid, I loved sardines, till I took one apart and discovered a tiny fish skeleton. Yech, gross, flehh. Ack puhh.

Shame on you Barb. I love both of them, especially the snails, don't look at them as garden pigs look at them as lettuce eaters:LOL: I know they look dirty but after they run barefoot through the ceansing lettuce they are pristine. YUM with butter and garlic. Caviar, is rather fishy but oh so good atop deviled eggs. OK you made me hungry
kadesi:ROFLMAO:
My dad's ex business partner had an aunt or grandma who picked snails out of the garden, plucked them (live) out of the shells with a bobbypin and ate them. :sick:

I grew up eating fried cod eggs. They aren't bad. I suspect they could be quite yummy. I like nice, pink, salmon "caviar". I don't think I have had the really good stuff, but I would like to try it. The less good stuff is yummy. Sour cream or crème fraiche go well with caviar.

As to escargot, I find them bland and rubbery. The sauce is excellent. It would go well with mushrooms and they would fit nicely in those special bowl/plate things they use to serve escargot. Now, sea snails, that's a whole 'nother story. Lots of yummy flavour and not usually as rubbery.
In half of the stories I have read about people eating escargot, they said they take on the flavor of the sauce they are in (generally garlic), and they described them as like eating garlic flavored rubber balls. :LOL:

"In half of the stories I have read about people eating escargot, they said they take on the flavor of the sauce they are in (generally garlic), and they described them as like eating garlic flavored rubber balls. :LOL:"

If escargot taste like a rubber balls, they are overcooked. In a way they are like clams or oysters. Just heated through is just right.

Let's see...spam, tunafish, pickled beets, and other things that are stinky.

Some dislikes seem to be pretty regional .....your locale. Understandable.
I can never eat fermented soybeans. Sticky and gooey....smells terrible too. Total vomit food.

Yes, I've decided I can never even try Natto...I'm curious, but not THAT curious.:LOL:

Nasty food to me is venison(deer meat) Everyone always says you have to try it my way. As far as I am concerned there is no good way to eat it.

My pallete must be weird--I can't taste the difference between beef and venison. I grew up on venison--and that is one of the meals I request when I go back to MN. Some say adding juniper berries to it cuts the harsh taste--to me, it has never tasted harsh. I love venison.

My pallete must be weird--I can't taste the difference between beef and venison. I grew up on venison--and that is one of the meals I request when I go back to MN. Some say adding juniper berries to it cuts the harsh taste--to me, it has never tasted harsh. I love venison.

I don't think it's your palette that's weird. I think that venison that was treated properly from the time it was killed has no harsh or "gamey" taste. That's my experience with venison.

Back
Top Bottom