Mushroom Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Basic Mushroom Gravy

1/2 pound sliced or diced white mushrooms
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons AP flour
2 cups beef stock or broth
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Melt butter in saute pan and saute' mushrooms, onions and garlic intil onions are soft. Stir in flour and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Stir in beef stock, continue stirring until thick. You can add more stock if you would like thinner gravy. Salt and Pepper to taste.

There are as many varitations as there are types of mushrooms, stocks and spices.

Basic Mushroom Gravy

1/2 cup diced onions
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons AP flour
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Melt butter in saute pan and saute' mushrooms, onions and garlic intil onions are soft. Stir in flour and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Stir in beef stock, continue stirring until thick. You can add more stock if you would like thinner gravy. Salt and Pepper to taste.

There are as many varitations as there are types of mushrooms, stocks and spices.
Looks great, wonder how it would be over rice or angel hair pasta? I'm going to try the rice first.
kades

I think it sounds great too! I also think it would be great over rice, pasta or a nice piece of beef of any kind. I make something very similar to that and serve it over a ricotta cheese ravioli -- delicious!

Like I mentioned, it's a very easy recipe to play with. Chicken or even mushroom stock instead of the beef. Any kind of mushrooms...I'm going to be doing dried porcinins as a gravy later this week and I will be using this basic recipe.

If you start adding veggies and meat to it you have stew.

I do use chicken stock for the ravioli. And yes, I can see all kinds of possibilites. I worked at a restaurant years ago where they made a simple grilled hamburger steak with the same kind of sauce along with sauteed mushrooms and onions -- big seller. Thanks for sharing!

Now is know what to do with the leftover Portabella slices. Copied and printed. Thanks for the inspiration, Princess.:chef:

Got me thinking. Last Fall a friend brought us an 8 lb. Hen of the Woods mushroom, which I cut up, froze most and dehydrated some. Delish! Have used it in soups and stews, will try the sauce!

Attachments

• image-3748787408.jpg
    image-3748787408.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Got me thinking. Last Fall a friend brought us an 8 lb. Hen of the Woods mushroom, which I cut up, froze most and dehydrated some. Delish! Have used it in soups and stews, will try the sauce!

YUM!!! That sounds great!

Basic Mushroom Gravy

1/2 cup diced onions
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons AP flour
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Sounds delicious!

Your recipe looks right on, FP....I love the stuff.

I never heard of that kind of mushroom before. I couldn't help but laugh at the picture of it thinking of how one of our members (don't remember who)
recently said they hated mushrooms so much she couldn't stand to look at them. Hope she doesn't see this.....it could cause nightmares. :LOL:

Kayelle said:
Your recipe looks right on, FP....I love the stuff.

I never heard of that kind of mushroom before. I couldn't help but laugh at the picture of it thinking of how one of our members (don't remember who)
recently said they hated mushrooms so much she couldn't stand to look at them. Hope she doesn't see this.....it could cause nightmares. :LOL:

Never heard of them before either. I was frightened when I first saw it too. Apparently they are one of the few mushrooms you harvest in Fall, grow on either oaks or elms and produce for years. I looked it up, perfectly safe as are most Fall mushrooms. There are HoW fanatics out there. The French have been using them for many years. I soaked the monster in salt water and rinsed to get rid of bugs. First time I sautéed in butter and garlic with a bit of worchest sauce, OMG! It dehydrates very well, and when frozen, lasts for years. That said,our supply is almost gone.

Texture is like escargot. Really firm and meaty, holds up great in slow cooking. We have Morels for a short time here in Spring, and there are poisonous posers for any Spring mushrooms.

Next Fall, look to the trees. There might be a Hen nesting there.

That is one beautiful mushroom...I first used it during the Mushroom Challenge. It's called Maitake. Very good!

PrincessFiona60 said:
That is one beautiful mushroom...I first used it during the Mushroom Challenge. It's called Maitake. Very good!

Mushroom Challenge??? Please do tell!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom