Poker Party Nibblies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK people, help me out here. I'm doing nibblies for a poker party on Saturday. I need ideas on what is easy and tasty to eat while playing cards. I wanted to do wings, but that would be hugely messy. So...help please? I think dippy type stuff might work. So far I've got:

Layered dip - (someone else is bringing this)
Tortilla pinwheels - (I haven't decided on all my fillings yet, suggestions?)
Veggie tray - (got some healthy folks in the crowd)

Lots of pina coladas, and strawberry daquiris, and caipirinhas going on too. If they want some other drink they can bring their own.

TIA for the help all!

Ooooo...that sounds yum. I have to see if I can find the little smokies. They can be tough to find from time to time. (My girls used to call them teeny weenies)

I found Buckytom's Buffalo chicken dip...think that would work? or is it too much "dip".

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, about 2 pounds, boiled, drained & shredded with 2 forks (crockpot is a great way to cook the chicken) Don't cut chicken into chunks..it needs to be shredded

1 - 12 ounce bottle Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce (try not to substitute here, Frank's really is the best. Crystal would be okay but do NOT use Tabasco)

2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese

1 - 16 ounce bottle Ranch dressing

1/2 cup chopped celery

8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, combine shredded cooked chicken meat with entire bottle of Frank's sauce, spreading to form an even layer.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese and entire bottle of Ranch dressing, stirring til hot & smooth. Pour this evenly over chicken mixture.

Sprinkle with celery. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes; then sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or til bubbly. Serve with celery sticks for dippers and/or any sturdy dipping chip like Tostito Golds.

Poker players need to be able to nibble with one hand while holding cards in the other. That means nothing messy!

Canapes are easily made and easy to eat:

* Mayonnaise and Brunschwieger on Mini-Ritz or Wheat Thin crackers
* Cream cheese-based fruit spread and real fruit chunks on crackers
* Sliced ham or turkey on toast points
* Deli-sliced Roast beef on garlic bruschetta halves.
* Cream cheese and sliced ham roll slices (using flour tortillas)
* Cheese nibs on toothpicks (using out of the ordinary cheeses - Havarti, Gouda, muenster, etc.)

Alix, I would think the buffalo chicken dip might get cold sitting out while playing cards. If you have a hard time finding the little smokies you can sub regular smoked sausage and just cut it into medallions and wrap them. Not as cute as the little smokies but same taste. Are you going to be having the food at the card table for snacking during play or have a table set off to the side for breaks in the game or both? I can see having some substantial food like sandwiches or meatballs or the hot dips for the breaks and things like flavored popcorn, cookies, crackers and cheese for at the table during play.

Selkie, we're going to have the chips and popcorn stuff on the table while we play and have a table off to the side for those who drop out and those who aren't playing. Someone will be available to reheat anything or to fix up whatever needs doing during the games. (I suck at poker, I'm not patient enough)

The medallions is a great thought. I know I can get smoked sausage if I can't find the teeny weenies.

Selkie, I like the toast point idea and the cheese chunks with toothpicks. What's Brunschwieger?

You guys are awesome, please keep the ideas coming!

Sorry, it's spelled: Braunschweiger

It's liverwurst, found in the cooler case near the bologna. Oscar Meyer is one brand. You can also ask for it in the deli. It's cooked liver processed into a thick spread (roll) that can be sliced. It tastes MUCH better than I can describe it. Think poor man's foie gras.

No matter what - have fun!!! ;) :chef:

Last edited:
Try googling TAPAS. Lots of different recipes for Spanish style finger foods. Remember, if it's messy, but bite sized, you can always stick a toothpick in it.

I would also avoid dips (messy)... but how about:

Spanakopita triangles (individually wrapped). They sell these frozen, but they are pretty easy to make and you can assemble waay ahead.

triangles.jpg

Thai rice paper wraps/ sauce - you can stuff with a variety of things, cheap, do ahead, etc.

wraps.jpg

Delicious things on toast points. caviar, deviled ham, cream cheese mixed with smoked salmon, etc.

toast.jpg

Janet, salad rolls are an inspired idea! I have some rice paper and shrimp already. I confess that spanakopita is not a favorite of mine. (Selfish so and so aren't I?) I have made phyllo triangles filled with a zippy cheese mixture, but thats much more work than I want to do at the moment. I find phyllo very picky work and I am working every evening til the party with little time to prep. I might go look at some premade ones though.

Selkie, liverwurst, got it! My Mom loves that stuff. I'll give that a go, and just will name it something different so no one gives me The Face. ;)

Sir Loin, thanks for the tip, I'm an expert Googler but prefer to ask for help from the folks here who are all experts and family. Did you have a particular favorite form of tapas you would like to share? I'm open to all ideas.

Layered dip - (someone else is bringing this)
Tortilla pinwheels
- tuna filling
- Marcia's (a cheesy piece of heaven)
- Buckytom's buffalo chicken dip rolled into tortillas and sliced
- ham/cheese, turkey cheese rolls, roast beef roll
Veggie tray - (got some healthy folks in the crowd)
Salad rolls
Stuff on toast points or sesame crackers
- liverwurst, a bit of grated onion, dill sprig
- cream cheese & hot pepper jelly
- guacamole, slice of grape tomato, bit of bacon
- _________?
Teeny weenies wrapped in bacon
Cheese chunks
Fruit chunks (yogurt dip?)
Brownies? Chocolate chip cookies? Other easy sweet idea?

All right folks, revised menu above. I need one more idea for the toast points and some input on the sweet selection. Thanks for all the help so far.

I just wanted to say, I thought Braunschweiger was smoked liverwurst, like pastrami is smoked corned beef.....rrrright? It's delicious by the way.

How about some mini-buns with some meatballs, little meatball sliders?
And a plate of mini muffins, blueberry, chocolate chip, apple crumble?

I didn't realize that braunschweiger was considered liverwurst, so am curious myself. I don't really like liverwurst, but do like braunschweiger... as long as it's Smiths. I would have to say it's an acquired taste though. I can see it being great in appys and finger foods.

How about something on a toothpick? Take a piece of jarred roasted red pepper, a piece of artichoke heart, and a piece of fresh mozzarella and put them on a tooth pick. You can also swap out the artichoke for a black olive on some.

Alix we love salami coated with cream cheese and chives mixed in put a small dab on the salamie put a peroncini pepper on top fold over the sala take a toothpick and hold it closed. Yum How about topping some crostini out of one of those skinny baguettes and top with Avocado, mashed, mayoand a little evoo to hold it together, crushed garlic and several dashes of Tabasco Olives marinated in evoo, orange zest OJ crushed garlic and salt and pepper, these are goodEndive boats filled part way with smoked salmon whipped cream cheese some creme fraiche some grated sweet onion lemon juice and some fresh dill. I have more ideas if you'd like them but have to run kids playing baseball.
cj

Alix... If you are going with salad rolls, I think you will need my Thai peanut sauce for dipping ;-) interested?

YES Please!

Alix we love salami coated with cream cheese and chives mixed in put a small dab on the salamie put a peroncini pepper on top fold over the sala take a toothpick and hold it closed. Yum How about topping some crostini out of one of those skinny baguettes and top with Avocado, mashed, mayoand a little evoo to hold it together, crushed garlic and several dashes of Tabasco Olives marinated in evoo, orange zest OJ crushed garlic and salt and pepper, these are goodEndive boats filled part way with smoked salmon whipped cream cheese some creme fraiche some grated sweet onion lemon juice and some fresh dill. I have more ideas if you'd like them but have to run kids playing baseball.
cj

Awesome CJ! Keep those ideas coming and I'll pick what I can do and what I can't do now, I'll try for another party.

How about something on a toothpick? Take a piece of jarred roasted red pepper, a piece of artichoke heart, and a piece of fresh mozzarella and put them on a tooth pick. You can also swap out the artichoke for a black olive on some.

Dave, YUMMY! Now I just have to buy toothpicks...I'll definitely try this one.

Blissful, I like the mini muffin idea, but I don't have a mini muffin tin. I'd have to buy that. I'm considering being lazy on the dessert end of things and buying a box of those mini cream puffs at Costco, and a box of two bite brownies.

Just realized I can't edit old posts anymore...LOL! So, reposting my menu as I revise it with your thoughts. I have confirmed 10 and there are about 6 who have not yet replied.

- Layered dip - (someone else is bringing this)
- Plate of Tortilla pinwheels (Marcia's (a cheesy piece of heaven), Buckytom's buffalo chicken dip rolled into tortillas and sliced, ham/cheese, turkey cheese rolls, roast beef roll)
- Veggie tray - (got some healthy folks in the crowd)
Plate of toothpicked items and stuff on toast points or sesame crackers (liverwurst, a bit of grated onion, dill sprig - guacamole, slice of grape tomato, bit of bacon - Teeny weenies wrapped in bacon - Cheese chunks - olive, red pepper, mozza sticks - salami, cream cheese, chives and pepper on a toothpick)
- Brownies, profiteroles

Alix, I don''t know how you feel about stuffed mushrooms but this is easy you just clean and de-stem the mushrooms then fill the cavity with HIT pork sausage (Jimmy Dean) mound the sausage in the mushroom Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for 30 min just before baking sprinkle the tops with parmesan.Put a block of cream cheese on a pretty plate and to with Pick a peppa sauce pit fully cooked sausage of your choice in a chafing dish filled with a warm dry white wine Make sure to have a lot of toothpicks,Spread thin slices of pumpernickle withcamembert or brie and pop in the oven to melt cheese the top with sweet crispy apple or pear make the slice thin. Hope this help it's fun
cj

OMG - stuffed mushrooms! YES! OK, do you have a recipe for the cheesy stuffed ones too?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom