Roasted Tomato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebLynn

Senior Cook
My recipe for this was requested in the today's menu forum...After having the BEST roasted tomato soup at a deli I go to often for lunch at work, I tried to duplicate it at home. After a few tweaks, I've come up with this one and its pretty darn close to the one at the deli...it makes 3-4 good-sized bowls...

3 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half the long way
6 or 7 whole cloves of garlic
1 vidalia onion, small dice
4 cups of chicken broth or stock
1 medium can of whole San Marzano tomatoes in juice, squeeze the whole tomatoes when adding
2 TB butter
large handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
olive oil, S & P as needed

Toss the halved plum tomatoes, the whole garlic cloves and some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread them out on a sheet pan and roast in an oven at 425 degrees for a half hour.

In a soup pot, saute on medium heat the diced onion in the 2 TB butter with a tiny drizzle of olive oil so the butter doesn't burn. Once the onion is soft and golden- 10-15 minutes, add in the roasted tomato and garlic from the oven (scrape any bits that are stuck to the pan). Add the stock and the crushed San Marzanos, salt and pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Pour the soup into a Cuisinart or use an immersion blender to blend it into a smooth sauce. Return the soup to the pot and taste for salt and pepper. Then add in the chopped fresh basil.

This is better the second day.

It certainly sounds good.
I have to ask though... I've heard SM tomatoes are really good, though I've never tried them, and I'm not a person who opposes adding a can of something to help out a dish, but with the roasted romas and everything else... what benefit are you getting from the canned tomatoes? Are the SM tomatoes seasoned like stewed tomatoes?

That sounds really tasty.

How much is in a medium can of tomatoes? I'm going to have to substitute passata because I don't eat tomatoes that come out of a can and that's what I can find in glass.

How much is in a medium can of tomatoes?...

Taxlady, I believe I can answer that one, since I often buy canned tomatoes - 14.5 oz. (411 grams) is medium. 6-8 oz. I would consider small, and 28-32 oz. I would consider large. Now, DebLynn may correct me, but I'd be willing to guess this is what she's writing about.

Last edited:
Taxlady, I believe I can answer that one, since I often buy canned tomatoes - 14.5 oz. (411 grams) is medium. 6-8 oz. I would consider small, and 28-32 oz. I would consider large. Now, DebLynn may correct me, but I'd be willing to guess this is what she's writing about.

Thanks. I have seen 400 ml cans, but I wasn't sure if those were medium or small.

Yes that's the right size! If I can only find the big can, I use half of it.

Pecans, I add the canned tomatoes because it produces more soup, and fresh tomatoes are expensive 9 months a year when they're not in season. I'm just being budget conscious and I get enough roasted flavor from the 3 pounds.

Thanks for the answer.
I've been meaning to make some tomato soup and like I said, this sounds great.

I would just use fresh tomatoes but get big juicy sweet vine ripened tomatoes for soup. I like to also add a little bacon to a Tomato soup for extra flavour.

This sounds great. Just chiming in that I don't feel as though olive oil will stop whole butter from burning. What is everyone else's experience? Not that olive oil is a poor addition. Now to contribute. Where I work, I sometimes make a tomato and blue cheese soup on the fly, when I need something in a hurry. Its nothing more then Tomatoe sauce with gorgonzola/roquefort/etc... and some cream added when the sauce is hot.. Give it a whirl with this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom