New ads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't get this all the time, but very recently I have been noticing certain pages here, on this forum, getting pushed over to one side of my screen and a video ad taking up room on the right side. This might be why sometimes pages load slower and they time out a lot, before they even load.
I didn't think registered members were subject to all these ads, or is one of my pop up blockers going kaput on me? This is on a few different PC, but I run the same adaware stuff and the like on all of them.

This is what it looks like. The vid had stopped playing, but there was still movement going on within the ad. It was kind of annoying trying to read the post with that going on :wacko: Any ideas? Anyone else getting this stuff? I want my full screen back :(

Attachments

• DC screenshot.jpg
    DC screenshot.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 250
I'm entrenched in IE... I know... one of the few, lol.
Does the owner of this site own Firefox or something ;^)
Why would I all of a sudden get these ads squishing DC over to the side unless something changed here on DC? I would gladly pay to have my full screen back.

The switch from IR to Firefox is just about seamless. All your bookmarks are copied over. I did it on a PC and a Mac.

Why would I all of a sudden get these ads squishing DC over to the side unless something changed here on DC? I would gladly pay to have my full screen back.

I was too, then I got so p!ssed off at how slow IE was I thought, "what the heck, I can always delete it if I hate it." I've never looked back. The new Firefox version that just came out is faster than ever and it keeps the annoyances at bay.

And as far as I know, Andy doesn't own shares in Mozilla, but that's not a bad idea!

OK, so if I switch over to firefox I will get the right side of my screen back here?

OK, so if I switch over to firefox I will get the right side of my screen back here?

I have to assume so. I haven't had any kind of ad anywhere on this site since I switched. Firefox v.4 + Adblocker Plus. And it's faster too.

I have to assume so. I haven't had any kind of ad anywhere on this site since I switched. Firefox v.4 + Adblocker Plus. And it's faster too.

Any idea how the new Firefox compares in speed to Chrome? I switched to Chrome about a half a year ago and it was lots faster than Firefox at the time.

Is the new Firefox still a memory hog? Well, Chrome is a memory hog, but it cleans up after itself when you close it.

Any idea how the new Firefox compares in speed to Chrome? I switched to Chrome about a half a year ago and it was lots faster than Firefox at the time.

Is the new Firefox still a memory hog? Well, Chrome is a memory hog, but it cleans up after itself when you close it.

I can't answer your questions. Firefox 4 is a little faster than the previous version. I have no knowledge of Chrome or memory usage.

I can't answer your questions. Firefox 4 is a little faster than the previous version. I have no knowledge of Chrome or memory usage.

You mean I'm just going to have to try it myself???

My original quibble with FF was that it was a memory hog. It slowed down everything on my 'puter. I could tell who was doing it by looking at taskmanager. I would shut FF and it was still hogging memory :ermm:

You should check out Chrome. A friend of mine noticed that he could run his laptop on battery about three times as long with Chrome open as opposed to with FF open. That probably isn't a totally unbiased opinion - he works for Google. ;)

Chrome also wastes much less of the top of the screen, which I care about with a laptop with a "letter box" shaped screen.

Last edited:
I'm checking out the new FF. It's looking good. Looks like they learned a few things from Chrome ;)

BTW, why did you dump Chrome?

It didn't act right from first use. I couldn't get anywhere with it, it kept telling me there was no data transfer and that was here at DC...I would reply to a post and have to resubmit it three or four times before it would take. Frustrating!

The keyboard key combination of "Control +" or "Control -" adjusts the overall magnification of the screen in I.E. or Firefox.

If you haven't yet, as others before me have already mentioned, for a performance boost I suggest you switch your browser to Firefox! It has addons that inhibit popups and nasties.

Sounds like I should give Firefox a try.
Does anyone here run a Google taskbar with Firefox? I imagine FF would let me install it since IE did...

I have no plans to switch to FF.

Any site that does not work with IE is a site I do not need.

Back
Top Bottom