What do YOU do with radish greens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I minced some up and threw them into the taco meat last night. I grow organically, and hate to waste anything. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

Salad. I also mix them with other steamed greens. You can also steam kohlrabi tops if you grow kohlrabi, and don't forget pea sprouts are lovely in salads.

I minced some up and threw them into the taco meat last night. I grow organically, and hate to waste anything. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?
Dawg try making soup of them they are really good in salad I use the whole thing radish and leaves, for the soup I chop them then saute with sliced green onions,garlic and several potatoes that I bake then cut into dice mix all together with a small can of chicken stock and some milk and half/half yummers.I mix the leaves with orange or lemon zest, some evoo, arugula or curley endive or even watercress or all three, add fresh chopped parsley, tarragon, a few thyme leaves sweet onion or shallots, avocado, heirloom tomatoe chunks. Hope this helps.:)
kadesma

Just a note on radish greens--they are best when the radishes are most tender--as the radish gets woody, the greens get a bit prickly. The other thing I do with them is grind them (raw) for the dog veggies...

CWS4322 said:
Just a note on radish greens--they are best when the radishes are most tender--as the radish gets woody, the greens get a bit prickly. The other thing I do with them is grind them (raw) for the dog veggies...

The radishes are the size of marbles now. I sliced and mixed them up with the greens and the lettuce volunteers and we had a very nice taco salad!

My beagle would love them in her biscuits!

kadesma said:
Dawg try making soup of them they are really good in salad I use the whole thing radish and leaves, for the soup I chop them then saute with sliced green onions,garlic and several potatoes that I bake then cut into dice mix all together with a small can of chicken stock and some milk and half/half yummers.I mix the leaves with orange or lemon zest, some evoo, arugula or curley endive or even watercress or all three, add fresh chopped parsley, tarragon, a few thyme leaves sweet onion or shallots, avocado, heirloom tomatoe chunks. Hope this helps.:)
kadesma

Thanks, Kadesma! I will also try this with the wild nettles in my wild flower garden!

There's a French bistro-style soup that uses radish greens, but for the life of my I can't find my cookbook that has the recipe. While there are a number of cream-type radish-green soups online, the one I'm thinking of is tomato-based. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Nettles--I have lots of those, and we thought we'd try them one spring...no thanks--must be an acquired taste. (I found that they taste like "manure" because that is what they smelled like to me when cooked). But I love milkweed buds...those are worth the time it takes to boil, drain, boil, drain, boil again.

Nettles--I have lots of those, and we thought we'd try them one spring...no thanks--must be an acquired taste. (I found that they taste like "manure" because that is what they smelled like to me when cooked). But I love milkweed buds...those are worth the time it takes to boil, drain, boil, drain, boil again.

I have never tried nettles. How did you cook them? I think nettle soup is a traditional Danish dish.

Oh yeah, milkweed buds, those really are tasty.

I steamed them. I boiled them. And after two tries, I gave up. They typically grow where there is high nitrogen in the soil. Kind of makes sense re: the odor...

CWS4322 said:
I steamed them. I boiled them. And after two tries, I gave up. They typically grow where there is high nitrogen in the soil. Kind of makes sense re: the odor...

I cooked the heck out of them. Can't remember what I did, think I sauteed, then boiled. Or reverse. You need to get rid of the formic acid. They were actually quite passable, used them like spinach in a vegetable soup, froze some, and now I can't find them.

I was looking at Scandinavian recipes for nettles and they all say to use just the tops - the tender leaves and to wear gloves while picking them.

Then I remember picking them with other kids, while I was in Denmark. I must have had something with nettles, since we had been sent to the woods to pick it. It must have tasted okay, or I would remember it.

taxlady said:
I was looking at Scandinavian recipes for nettles and they all say to use just the tops - the tender leaves and to wear gloves while picking them.

Then I remember picking them with other kids, while I was in Denmark. I must have had something with nettles, since we had been sent to the woods to pick it. It must have tasted okay, or I would remember it.

Yes, def need gloves. And only spring, with the tender tops. If it would quit raining I would go out and get some.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom