Stuffed Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Per request in the daily dinner thread, here's my recipe for stuffed vegetables (pork stuffing).

The Turkish Seasoning is a proprietary blend Penzey's sells and it's pretty good. I started using this recipe mixing my own version of Turkish Seasoning because I didn't want to be forced into buying yet another bottle
of the spice. I finally gave up and bought the stuff.

Of course, you can use a different combination of veggies. This time I'm using a combination of red and green bell peppers instead of the Cubanelles.

Stuffed Vegetables

2 Ea Portobello Mushrooms
6-8 Ea Button Mushrooms
4 Ea Zucchini
3 Ea Italian Peppers (cubanelles)
¼ C Olive Oil
1 Ea Onion, diced
3 Cl Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Pork
2½ Tb Turkish Seasoning
15 Oz Canned Tomato
1 C Shredded Cheddar
¼ C Grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Remove the stems and gills from the portobellos. Save the stems for the stuffing.

Chop the button mushrooms for the stuffing.

Cut three of the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and reserve them for the stuffing. Dice the fourth zucchini for the stuffing. Cut the peppers in half length-wise and clean out the interiors.

Place the prepared portobellos, zucchini and peppers on an oiled half-sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Spray or brush with oil.

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.

Add the onions and garlic and sauté.

Add the ground pork and brown. Drain off excess fat.

Add the seasonings and the mushroom and zucchini saved for the stuffing and simmer for several minutes until the zucchini is soft.

Add the canned tomatoes and break them up with a spoon or spatula. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, to cook off excess liquid (about 12-15 minutes).

Turn off the heat and mix in the cheddar cheese. Stuff the vegetables and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the stuffing. Bake for 35-45 minutes.

Sounds good, Andy, but lacking the Turkish spice blend, would you suggest a suitable substitute? TIA

Thanks, Andy. I always figured I'd try Penzey's, I've heard lots of good about them here.

It's a great place to buy herbs, spices and seasonings. I used them many years online then they opened a store about 30 minutes from me and I always keep a shopping list of stuff I need to get.

I have some of that Turkish seasoning, too. One of the free samples they sent me. I like it on sautéed snapper.

Why do you gill the portobellos? I grill portobellos and never bothered removing the gills... should I?

I have some of that Turkish seasoning, too. One of the free samples they sent me. I like it on sautéed snapper.

Why do you gill the portobellos? I grill portobellos and never bothered removing the gills... should I?

I don't gill portobellos when grilling them either. I do for this recipe to make room for the stuffing.

ahh... make room for the stuffing. Good answer.
You can tell I don't stuff a lot of portobellos ;^)

ahh... make room for the stuffing. Good answer.
You can tell I don't stuff a lot of portobellos ;^)

Neither do I. A stuffed portobello is kind of awkward as an hors d' oeuvres. I like them grilled as a side or in a sandwich.

Yes, they don't quite balance on a triscuit.

I like making pizzas with them where the mushroom acts as the shell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom