Beans and rice in a crock-pot for a while, safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marty52

Assistant Cook
I have ate beans from my crock pot for up to two weeks as it was only on warm, is this enough to keep this warm enough to not spoil. They taste good but was worrying that could be spoiled and I not know it.

I wouldn't trust it.

I live alone so when I make beans, I only use 1/2 package. I usually eat half and freeze the other half to reheat at a later date.

do you mean that you kept food in a crock pot that was set on warm, and you continued to eat it for 2 weeks?

how safe it is depends on several environmental and personal health factors (such as if you live in an igloo in sub-zero weather, and/or have a constitution suited to handle dodgy food) but didn't it dry out an awful lot?

Very unsafe. Spoilage is your least worry, as both beans and rice can be associated with spore forming bacteria that cause food borne illness. "Warn" setting is very likely less that 140 degrees, the temperature at which food should be held for short periods of time to be safe.

In addition, My guess is you have had to add water somewhere along that two week period which would lower the temp for quite a while and every time you spoon out some beans, you are potentially contaminating the rest with the utensil.

Even our resident food safety naysayers probably wouldn't feel comfortable with two weeks on warm.

Last edited:
two weeks?! not to mention, marty, that it's a huge expenditure of energy for a measly meal of rice and beans. our species will go extinct with such an imbalance.

Well if they seem ok. People do waste food that is perfectly edible but maybe two weeks is a little too long.

Back
Top Bottom