Sherry Red wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC! I would not use anything labeled "cooking wine" for anything, it has so much sodium added. Red wine should be fine, though sherry has a different type of flavor. Depends on what you're making.

Last edited:
if you don't mind the color and tannin added by the red wine, then by all means use red wine... you might not be able to substitute *sherry wine* with red wine, but for sherry cooking wine, everything is better than cooking wine...

Sherrys have a very different flavor from red wines. You cn sub one for the other but the dish's flavor will be noticeably different.

Red Wine

Thanks for the advice.... I 'll see if I ruined my chicken/saffron dish with red wine... couldn't run to store for red sherry wine! It'll prob. work since I left out the "saffron".... LOL! I couldn't believe the price of $18.00 for 1/2 ounce!!

Thanks for the advice.... I 'll see if I ruined my chicken/saffron dish with red wine... couldn't run to store for red sherry wine! It'll prob. work since I left out the "saffron".... LOL! I couldn't believe the price of $18.00 for 1/2 ounce!!
it's the most expensive food by weight in the world. but you don't really use it that much, so I never really cared about the price.

Back
Top Bottom