No Cooking Required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
It's going to be beastly hot all over the country today. I've decided that I'm going out to buy a rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight. Don't know what I will do with it but I know I am not going to cook, just assemble. What are your favorite ways to avoid the heat of the stove? Recipies please.

Gazpacho
Chilled Yogurt-cucumber soup
Three-bean salsa salad
BLTs (make the bacon in the microwave)
Club Sandwiches

Tomorrow it is supposed to be 37C, (that's around 98), with the humidex, it will feel as if it is 48C. In all the years I've lived here, I do not recall a forecasted temp to be 37. It has been beastly hot all week. I installed the portable A/C--boy am I glad I did. It has helped a LOT.

What are your favorite ways to avoid the heat of the stove?

The combination of summer heat and humidity makes cooking inside miserable and costly with air conditioning costs.

I like to use the grill as my oven. It's easy when you set it up for indirect cooking and add a remote temp gauge to it.

I use a "Oregon Scientific" remote BBQ temp gauge. You stick the probe into the item cooking and set the transmitter to the side of the BBQ. The inside unit will show you the temp and also give you an alarm when set-point-minus 10 degrees is reached. It can be set to Degrees F or C.

To use your grill as an oven, you first have to put a ring of some sort below the cooking area where the coals are. The ring needs to go all the way up to the cooking grate where the food is. I use a 6 inch tin ring. It makes the heat from the coals go up the sides of the grill instead of hitting the cooking area directly. By adjusting your vents on the sides and lid, you can maintain a steady heat by adding just a few new briquettes every 30-60 minutes. When adding them, space them around the ring.

This keeps the heat out of the house and also gives the food a great smokey flavor. Serious Yum on the Yum Meter!:pig:

Last edited:
Grill cooking is the way to be when the summer heat hits. I use the slow cooker in the summer, too. I just hook it up in the garage and let 'er rip.

Cook out, or take out!
Usually bbq and salads. I sometimes use the fryer outside with an extension chord. Like tonight I may make some fries with the bbq I am making.

Oh yeah, and lots of beer and lemonade....

Grilling, salads, or fresh veg ( tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash), and cheeses.

popcorn. hot pockets. frozen tv dinners. (any other microwave cliche's that I can name) I might throw up thinking about a hot pocket.

Grill cooking is the way to be when the summer heat hits. I use the slow cooker in the summer, too. I just hook it up in the garage and let 'er rip.
Gee I never thought of putting the crock pot in the garage, of course until the last couple of weeks we didn't have a garage. Now we have a garage and a basement so maybe when we finally get moved in I'll try the crock pot in the basement for those really hot days. Thanks for the tip.

I like just having a large bowl of fresh fruit salad and V Ice Cream when it's hot or Gazpacho, Rotisserie Chicken wrapped in tortillas with crisp salad and sour cream, a cheese platter with melba toast and preserves, Baguette sandwiches with cold cuts, salad and preserves and pickles etc. Or I just order in :)

Ambrosia

Ingredients

1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange segments
1 firm large banana, sliced
1-1/2 cups seedless grapes
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup pecan halves or coarsely chapped nuts (Optional)
1 cup sour cream OR plain yogurt
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Method

1. Drain pineapple and orange segments (or use fresh instead of canned)

2. In large bowl, combine pineapple, orange segments, banana, grapes, marshmallows, coconut and nuts.

3. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and brown sugar.

4. Stir sour cream mix into fruit mixture.

5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Attachments

• Ambrosia.jpg
    Ambrosia.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 260
Last edited by a moderator:
Ambrosia

Ingredients

1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange segments
1 firm large banana, sliced
1-1/2 cups seedless grapes
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup pecan halves or coarsely chapped nuts (Optional)
1 cup sour cream OR plain yogurt
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Method

1. Drain pineapple and orange segments (or use fresh instead of canned)

2. In large bowl, combine pineapple, orange segments, banana, grapes, marshmallows, coconut and nuts.

3. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and brown sugar.

4. Stir sour cream mix into fruit mixture.

5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Sour Cream and fruit? This I must try! Can I use all fresh fruit and say maybe honey?

Snip13--Sour cream and fruit is amazing. This salad (I guess it's a salad) is one my mom always made. We only used canned fruit (and no bananas). But, there's no reason fresh wouldn't work, I don't think.

Sour Cream and fruit? This I must try! Can I use all fresh fruit and say maybe honey?

I think I've seen about a hundred versions of Ambrosia. This is just my favorite. I make it without the nuts and serve it with the chopped nuts in small personal bowls on the side of each place setting.

The only thing to watch for is making it too runny. If you're careful with the amount of honey, it would work. Or, boost the amount of marshmallow to help control the thickness.

All fresh fruit is actually preferred, as it's the original method many decades ago in the deep south of the USA.

You can also make your own homemade marshmallow:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/HomemadeMarshmallows.html

This stuff is addictive. Best eaten alone so no one sees your sticky face and the amount you eat...:pig:

Last edited:
Snip13--Sour cream and fruit is amazing. This salad (I guess it's a salad) is one my mom always made. We only used canned fruit (and no bananas). But, there's no reason fresh wouldn't work, I don't think.

Don't know why I've never tried it. Yogurt is sour milk so sour cream should be great :) Minus banana for me too!

Thanks :) I'll try it also minus the banana, I get really grossed out by raw bananas lol!

You could lightly bread the raw banana and fry it first. As long as it's drained afterward, I don't see where that would do anything but alter the flavor a tad. Might be really good.

Also, I like to add some whipped marshmallow to it and mix it in real good before adding the tiny marshmallows. It gives it a more creamy texture after setting overnight.

You could lightly bread the raw banana and fry it first. As long as it's drained afterward, I don't see where that would do anything but alter the flavor a tad. Might be really good.

Also, I like to add some whipped marshmallow to it and mix it in real good before adding the tiny marshmallows. It gives it a more creamy texture after setting overnight.

Sounds like a plan :) Banana chips could work too! I was made to eat banana by my father so I guess it's just a phobia I have lol ! Can't eat anything that made me sick before. Fried banana would make it creamy, yum!
What is whipped marshmallow?

i use micro, crockpot and briefly a skillet on the stove for sautéing chicken shrimp or just a burger pattie. i have Central air conditioning so that saves me. 90 here today. i think the heat has broken the weather site. stayed on 67 day and night for three days. it was still hot during the night and the air kicked in. scared to see the bill.

Back
Top Bottom