Dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Lately, the clean dishes from the dishwasher has been smelling of dishwasher detergent. I don't know if the rinse cycle is not doing a good job of rinsing after washing , or could be the detergent, but I haven't changed detergent. :ermm:

I recently had a problem with my DW and was afraid I would have to replace it. I hd not changed detergents but apparantly the detergent had changed on me. I was using Costco DW detergent and switched to Cascade to see if it made a difference. Night and Day!!! Now the DW works perfectly.

Your problem may not be the same but it's worth a try.

Andy M. said:
I recently had a problem with my DW and was afraid I would have to replace it. I hd not changed detergents but apparantly the detergent had changed on me. I was using Costco DW detergent and switched to Cascade to see if it made a difference. Night and Day!!! Now the DW works perfectly.

Dishwasher or Dear Wife? Glad your DW works perfectly now!

(sorry Andy)

Last edited:

I do use Cascade, always have .

Dishwasher or Dear Wife? Glad your DW works perfectly now!

(sorry Andy)

:LOL: That was my thought too.

We've had a few problems with our dishwasher that have led to a soapy residue. One of them was that we'd run out of rinse aide and hadn't noticed it. Another was that the holes in the water sprayer had built up a residue. We ran the empty dishwasher with vinegar and that cleared that up. We also had trouble with the door on the detergent compartment sticking. It wouldn't open up until most of the way through the wash cycle so there was still detergent in it during the rinse cycle. We cleaned the latch really well and did another empty cycle with vinegar and that cleared that up also.

Keep your present DW deterngent, but maybe try running a cycle empty with Lemi-Shine (or similar DW cleaner) added. Lemi-Shine is available at most supermarkets or Walmart and such places.

Caslon said:
Keep your present DW deterngent, but maybe try running a cycle empty with Lemi-Shine (or similar DW cleaner) added. Lemi-Shine is available at most supermarkets or Walmart and such places.

Freshness is key for DW soap. I was disappointed with our fairly new DW, did the empty cycle with Lemi-Shine, then a load of dishes with a tab I'd had for awhile. Very puzzled, as they did not come clean. Then I got new DW soap (Finish), and the results were amazing! A plumber friend of ours had told me about the importance of fresh soap, I had forgotten. They should come with a use-by date, but they don't.

I also reversed the Lemi-Shine process, put the Finish tab in the soap container, and the Lemi-shine in the slot next to it. Baked on crud from the previous load that I had to rewash came right off!

Snicker. Reread this thread, substituting Dear Wife for Dishwasher. :LOL:

Well, I thought it was funny....

i just ran a cycle with the lemon shine stuff and no dishes. then did dishes, using it as well. glasses are shiny but i think they will need another dose to be really perfect. gonna try that trick on the dispenser for the soap. mine has been sticking as well. thanks guys.

I always use a detergent called FINISH in the form of tabs. I have been using it now for almost 5 years and it never failed me. Try using a refresher FINISH. It looks like a flower with fluid inside. It has a mandarin flavor or apple flavor. I hang it from the high drawer and it gives a very nice smell in my dishwasher. You need to replace it every month.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom