Boneless Beef Short Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
One of my issues with bone-in beef short ribs is the excessive amount of fat that is part of the package. I seldom plan a day ahead to cook and refrigerate the dish so I can lift off the fat and find skimming it off a tedious and not completely successful effort.

Recently, I have been noticing boneless beef short ribs in the meat case at the supermarket.

Have any of you had experience cooking boneless short ribs other than to braise them? I'm interested in using them in a recipe.

I've grilled them, basically like spares. Other than that, I've got an excellent slow cooker recipe. It calls for pouring the liquid into a baggie and cutting a bit of the corner off after it has settled to try to get the "good" liquids and leave the fat behind. Because yes, they sure are fatty.

I haven't done this as I haven't seen the cut localy. But I would first try to cook them as I would a brisket. I would put grill them over low heat, on a divided bed of coals, with alder or apple wood. After about 2 hours, I would hit them with a dry rub, seal in foil, and cook low and slow for another 2 to 3 hours. That should give you good and smoky flavor, with tender, juicy met. You could also sauce them for the last 10 minutes or so on the grill.

As a side, I'm thinking plain brown rice, with the meat juice used either as au jus, or made into a gravy. Throw in either a great garden salad, or some broccoli and butter.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I buy boneless beef ribs at Costco and they're great. They have no more marbling than a rib steak. At times there is extra fat on the outside of the meat, but I usually can find them without that. The ribs are tender and can be grilled at regular grilling heat. I've cut them into cubes and braised them in a Mexican sauce and they're wonderful. I've also cut them in cubes and cooked them in my slow cooker along with a can of cream of mushroom soup and an envelope of dried onion soup After adding sour cream, the mixture tastes a lot like beef stroganoff and it's delicious served with cooked noodles. I don't know if there is a Costco where you live or if the Costco has the boneless beef ribs but I hope so.

ooh, i'm not sure if you're a fan of korean food, but marinated and grilled beef short ribs (kalbi) are delicious.

i'll see if I can find a good kalbi recipe.

One of my issues with bone-in beef short ribs is the excessive amount of fat that is part of the package. I seldom plan a day ahead to cook and refrigerate the dish so I can lift off the fat and find skimming it off a tedious and not completely successful effort.

I'm right there with you on that issue, Andy. While I've been aware of the gravy separators for some time, I've not purchased one yet.

I think I'll do so and start enjoying the fatty foods I've avoided cooking.

Several Types of Fat Separators

Maybe you could find a recipe that would allow you to cook them a day ahead, pop them in the fridge, then, the next day, just take the fat off the top of the braising liquid and reheat them some how.

Maybe you could find a recipe that would allow you to cook them a day ahead, pop them in the fridge, then, the next day, just take the fat off the top of the braising liquid and reheat them some how.

Thanks Rock, I know to do that for bone in ribs. I'm looking for new ideas for boneless ribs. They are less fatty.

I realize this probably won't be all that helpful for those without the proper gear, but the best short ribs I've ever made sous vide. I seasoned them with salt & pepper, sealed them and cooked them at 135 degrees for 74 hours. Once they came out of the water bath I brushed them with Devil's Spit BBQ sauce and flashed them on a hot gas grill fora couple minutes. They were fall-apart tender yet still a nice MR looking pink. And of course, they had just the right charred sauce. Very tasty if you have the means to cook sous vide.:chef:

Your timing is great! I just bought 2 big flats of them today on sale for 3.99lb. I plan on making them korean style and grilling them. Someone gave us a couple of flats (pre-marinated) to take camping camping last year and I think it was the best grilled thing I ever ate. Seriously!

Last edited:
andy, sorry i forgot to respond.

here's 2 really good looking recipes for kalbi where you can use either bone-in or boneless short ribs.

Kalbi (Korean BBQ Short Ribs) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Kalbi: the best beef ribs you’ll ever taste | I Hate My Message Board

Thanks! I got them marinating this morning. I have made them before but I never grated the onion and I used white sugar before. We'll see what the difference is. I also added some chopped green onions as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom