Help with making a pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amnesia180

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I've got some left over gravy, chicken carcass/meat and veg from yesterday's Sunday dinner. All the ingredients are still siting in their pots/pans (covered) ontop of the oven.

So, I was going to cut the rest of the chicken/meat and then cut up the veg. Pour gravy over it (thin it using some water) and then put in a pot and boil.

Once it is boiled, I have a frozen roll of pastry I could roll over the top in a dish of some sort and then cook it.

However, I want to be able to store the pie, or make two smaller pies.

So, could I add the gravy (thin it with water) to the veg and chicken (everything has already been cooked yesterday). Defrost the pastry, put it over the cold pie filling inside their dishes and then put the pastry over the top and then refreeze it all? That way I can throw it in the oven frozen and cook for 45 mins on the day I want it?

I'm new to all of this so any suggestions are welcome :)

Thank you!
Amnesia

Perhaps you forgot that leaving food unrefrigerated like that can cause dangerous bacterial growth. I wouldn't use any of it to make anything.

I agree with Andy about leaving the food out overnight. However, for future reference, your plan is basically good for using the leftovers except I wouldn't thin the gravy at all. Especially if you want to freeze the pie. It will come out too watery. When making chicken pie, you want the filling to be pretty dense in order to hold up while baking. Otherwise you end up with soup under the crust.

Andy is spot on about discarding the food you left out overnight.

However, from your initial post, you mentioned
So, I was going to cut the rest of the chicken/meat and then cut up the veg. Pour gravy over it (thin it using some water) and then put in a pot and boil.

I think making a pot pie with leftovers like those is a great idea, but I wouldn't boil them They're already fully cooked. I would put the meat and veggies into the casserole, add the gravy, and then top with the pie crust. At this point, you could bake and then freeze, or freeze for later baking.

Andy is spot on about discarding the food you left out overnight.

However, from your initial post, you mentioned

I think making a pot pie with leftovers like those is a great idea, but I wouldn't boil them They're already fully cooked. I would put the meat and veggies into the casserole, add the gravy, and then top with the pie crust. At this point, you could bake and then freeze, or freeze for later baking.

I missed the boiling idea! June is correct on that one!

Thanks all.
I'll get some smaller pie dishes, then I can cook to order (as the other half is on a diet and wouldn't eat them anyway!).

Thanks again,
Amnesia

Back
Top Bottom