Plastic lettuce knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
I saw these at the store. They look like they would be pretty nice, and are really cheap. Has anyone used one? How's the durability? Is it good for cutting things like tomatoes and other veggies, or is it really just for large rough stuff like lettuce and cabbage? Thanks!

lettuce-knife.jpg

I think I saw something similar on one of those QVC cooking segments. They called it a sandwich knife or something. Handy for cutting sandwich items, including tomatoes, and a wide blade for spreading mayo. It looks like it would work well on cake, too. I have not used one, but it looked like it worked well.

it's good for cutting lettuce so that it doesn't brown, other than that it doesn't have any other use really. It is not very durable or sharp. I have one, I bought it because it was a couple of bucks, but have only used it a couple of times. I use it if I am going to only use 1/2 a head of lettuce, so I use this to cut it in half, to prevent the lettuce turning brown.

I had one, but gave it to goodwill a couple of years ago. Didn't think it did that much on saving lettuce from browning (one of those green bags works better and has more uses).

Just tare your lettuce to avoid browning and use a regular knife to cut the rest. They are just a waste of money. One of those "white elephants"

The only use for that thing is lettuce. Romaine is better ripped/torn than cut, and for this sole application the plastic knife is "okay." Back when knives were carbon steel there may have been a reason for a plastic knife but modern stainless steels don't react or give off flavors when cutting...anything.

Save your money.

I got one at the dollar store and use it for shredding lettuce. I like it. I don't know that I would have purchased one except that a friend said she did notice a difference in the browning of the lettuce. I do see that my lettuce still browns but not as quickly. However, it works well, pops right into the dishwasher and the fuscia pink stands out in my drawer to find it easily! I probably wouldn't spend more than $1-$2 on one though.

I have had one for more year than I care to count....eh..it works pretty well for iceburg lettuce..that's about it. To be honest, I usually just use the same knife I am cutting the rest of the salad stuff with if I need to cut lettuce.

I use a ceramic knife for cutting vegetables, especially lettuce. I also bought my father a ceramic knife to cut vegetables, especially lettuce.

If you cut up an entire head of lettuce, there is no way you are going to eat it all in one sitting, so you cut it up, wash and spin it in your salad spinner, drain thoroughly on paper towels, and place it in a glass bowl or a zip bag for use all week.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
I use a ceramic knife for cutting vegetables, especially lettuce. I also bought my father a ceramic knife to cut vegetables, especially lettuce.

If you cut up an entire head of lettuce, there is no way you are going to eat it all in one sitting, so you cut it up, wash and spin it in your salad spinner, drain thoroughly on paper towels, and place it in a glass bowl or a zip bag for use all week.

I love my ceramic knives for cutting up everything. Much more expensive, but so versatile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom