Ms. Mofet's Pot Roast Vegetable Barley Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire

This is a quick easy soup using left over pot roast and it's au jus.

Amounts depend on how much soup you want to make

Left over beef pot roast; chopped
Leftover pot roast braising liquid (mine was beefy onion soup mix, red wine, sliced mushrooms, ground pepper, water and gravy master)
Beef stock
Frozen mixed vegetables
Potatoes; chopped bite size
Fresh tomato; chopped
Cooked Barley

Add everything BUT the barley to a pot and simmer till potato is tender and tomato breaks down a bit.
Add barley stir and serve.

img_1041115_0_e06f7edc519fca68914b5effe1f0b569.jpg

msmofet said:

This is a quick easy soup using left over pot roast and it's au jus.

Amounts depend on how much soup you want to make

Left over beef pot roast; chopped
Leftover pot roast braising liquid (mine was beefy onion soup mix, red wine, sliced mushrooms, ground pepper, water and gravy master)
Beef stock
Frozen mixed vegetables
Potatoes; chopped bite size
Fresh tomato; chopped
Cooked Barley

Add everything BUT the barley to a pot and simmer till potato is tender and tomato breaks down a bit.
Add barley stir and serve.

I love soups. This sounds really yummy and easy. I'll be glad when it gets cooler so I can give It a try.

I'm a big fan of barley in soup. It holds up so well.
Nice use of leftovers.

I love barley in soup too. Sounds (and looks) really good, MM!

Will try to scrounge up my Mushroom Barley soup recipe.

That looks yummy MsM.
I'm glad to see you use COOKED barley at the end.

As a young cook I remember adding way too much uncooked barley to a soup, thinking it would be just right. Wrong, it sucked up ALL the broth!! Last time I ever made that mistake. ;)

That looks yummy MsM.

As a young cook I remember adding way too much uncooked barley to a soup, thinking it would be just right. Wrong, it sucked up ALL the broth!! Last time I ever made that mistake. ;)

:LOL: Been there, done that!
I still cook the barley in the soup, but double up on the broth. Lesson learned.

Kayelle said:
That looks yummy MsM.

Funny, Kayelle! I did the same, and wondered where the soup went! It was like pudding!

Thank you everyone.

I also have been there with the uncooked barley AND rice. I now keep barley and rice seperate form the soups, we add it to the bowl first then add the soup.

Looks good :) I love barley! I keep my barley and pasta separate too, just taste better and then you can also freeze leftovers without having soggy starches when you reheat the soup!

Looks good :) I love barley! I keep my barley and pasta separate too, just taste better and then you can also freeze leftovers without having soggy starches when you reheat the soup!
Thank you snip

Thank you snip

My pleasure :)
You cook very much like my mom, I enjoy the recipe posts you make very much!
Darn I miss her :( She in SA and with me living in Botswana now I don't get to see her often.
P.S It's a compliment by the way, my mom is the best cook in our family by far, even though my brother's a professional chef I still prefer her cooking!

My pleasure :)
You cook very much like my mom, I enjoy the recipe posts you make very much!
Darn I miss her :( She in SA and with me living in Botswana now I don't get to see her often.
P.S It's a compliment by the way, my mom is the best cook in our family by far, even though my brother's a professional chef I still prefer her cooking!
Thank you so much.

I hate barley, had to eat it once a day for 2 years straight in the army. But I would have to add the barley to a soup, that is how I would do it too, precooked, makes a world of diffence. Love simple recipe like this.

I hate barley, had to eat it once a day for 2 years straight in the army. But I would have to add the barley to a soup, that is how I would do it too, precooked, makes a world of diffence. Love simple recipe like this.
Thank you charlie. It was a way to use leftovers for a quick and easy meal.

Just what I was looking for. I get so tired of pasta in every darn thing around here and having to make sure it's pre cooked so it doesn't suck up all the "sop" ahhhh soup:LOL: Thank you it looks delicious
kades

Just what I was looking for. I get so tired of pasta in every darn thing around here and having to make sure it's pre cooked so it doesn't suck up all the "sop" ahhhh soup:LOL: Thank you it looks delicious
kades
Thank you kades.

If you don't have leftover pot roast you can simmer cubed stew beef or cubed bottom round in broth till tender then follow the recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom