Muffin/Cupcake pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I was in the town grocery store yesterday and remembered I needed a cupcake pan, but they only had pans for 6 cakes. I thought twelve seemed more practical (and normal) and wanted to price compare, so I just looked at Amazon and the price for a 12 cake pan is comparative to what the local store would want for 2-6 cake pans. So is there any advantage or disadvantage of using 2-6's compared to 1-12? I suppose storage might be a consideration. I don't forsee me making just six cupcakes, but if I do it seems just as easy to only fill half on the larger pan. Six seems small. I was surprised to see they made such a small cupcake/muffin pan.

So when I go to wally world, given the choice of 2-6's or 1-12, which would you get?

Easier to fill?
Thanks. I didn't think of that because I've never filled a smaller pan.
And that will save me a trip into wally world... a big plus :)

Were the cupcake holes in the 6 the same size as those in the 12?

There are three basic cupcake sizes I'm aware of. The standard size usually comes in a 12 per pan size. Then there are bigger ones that make big muffin-sized cupcakes or muffins. Those are usually 6 per pan. Then there are pans that make mini-muffins.

Make sure you're getting the cupcake size size you want.

Andy, they did not have a 12 hole pan to compare to, but they did have the minis. The minis looked like they had more than 12 even.
I grabbed a package of papers and the 6 hole pans looked like the right size for the cupcake papers they also sell. I'd say they were for normal sized cupcakes.

I guess if they are easier to fill like PF said, maybe they are the more popular size for that store. Although, upon further thinking... that means two trips to the oven...

I have two standard size six cup because they are easier to store in my small kitchen. I also make jiffy type corn muffins once in a while and the six cup works well for the small amount.

You can put both pans in the oven at the same time pac. Side by side and it will be like a 12 muffin pan. One trip. 2 pans. Okay maybe you'll have to stick your hands in the oven twice to place both pans.

I don't know but I can really see some advantages to having a pan with 6 muffins. The first being that I would be able to put it in my toaster oven. The second being that I don't always want to make a dozen and it would be nice to scale down my recipe accordingly. I would guess that they may actually be larger than a standard muffin tin. At least the 6 hole tins I have seen here have been bigger.

I have seen six hole pans for regular size cupcakes. When my kids were growing up and time was of the essence, I used two twelve hole pans and baked both pans at the same time. That worked well for me.

when i was looking for cupcake/muffin pans about six years ago, being an occasional baker at best, i chose a four-pack of six count tins. they were the "impermanent" looking kind, made out of heavy duty aluminum foil. i am still using them today. i can fit all four of them in my standard size oven--three across up front, one in the back. they bake nice and evenly, no need to rotate. i sometimes wish i had an excuse to replace them with some regular non-stick metal ones. for sure i would choose the six count size again. i'm using mine today, thanks to you, pac, and your public hankering for some chocolate cupcakes recently.... :)

And as soon as I pick those six hole pans at the store today, along with some more milk, I'll be making those cupcakes!

Good point about the six hole pans being able to fit in a toaster oven.

And as soon as I pick those six hole pans at the store today, along with some more milk, I'll be making those cupcakes!

Good point about the six hole pans being able to fit in a toaster oven.

I do a lot of baking in the summer in my toaster oven. It works great without heating the house up.

Besides 2-6 holers make nicer parts separators when you are taking the vacuum cleaner apart or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom