How to Make Rice Krispy Treat Soft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Rice Krispy Treats are never soft. Whenever I make them, they end up being hard & chewy. What am I doing wrong? This is such a simple recipe and yet, it's not working out right for me for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

darlenemt08 said:
My Rice Krispy Treats are never soft. Whenever I make them, they end up being hard & chewy. What am I doing wrong? This is such a simple recipe and yet, it's not working out right for me for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure. Maybe use marshmallow cream and more butter? Or use extremely fresh marshmallows, and do not overcook. That might be it. The sugar would harden if overcooked. And not put in the fridge?

I think the premade storebought treats might have some "additional" ingredients to keep them soft.

I have found that they turn out hard if you cook the marshmallows too long. Just melt them-even if there is a little unmelted when you take it off the heat. They will finish melting when you stir in the cereal. :)

Please post the proportions you use, that will help us troubleshoot. I suspect you need to add butter and marshmallow.

I do 1/2 cup butter, 40 marshmallows and 5-6 cups rice krispies. Sometimes I toss in a 1/4 cup of cocoa for fun.

A friend of mine makes the best rice crispie treats. She always uses margarine (stick) (she's lactose intolerant) and uses the whole bag of marshmallows. She also takes the mixture off the heat before the marshmallows are completely melted and stirs them in the pan using the heat that remains. I've often wondered about roasting the marshmallows and taking the goo out to make these...never gotten past the s'mores stage when roasting marshmallows...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom