Any way to keep alfalfa sprouts longer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Ok, so they're only 99 cents for a rectangular plastic package, but they start to go bad 4 or so days later. They really densely pack them in those containers. A paper towel placed in the container for longer use, will be soaked within a day. I doubt that's helping them keep longer.

I was thinking of unraveling the spouts (the angel hair type) and putting them in a covered bowl or something. Maybe they wouldn't start to go bad so fast?

Last edited:
The one thing I have learned: Don't cover them, they need to breath.

Either way, the shelf life can be fickle with sprouts. I hate to say they are a use it or loose it item, but they can be like that. Also, store in the back of the fridge where the temp is more constant/consistent.

The one thing I have learned: Don't cover them, they need to breath.

Either way, the shelf life can be fickle with sprouts. I hate to say they are a use it or loose it item, but they can be like that. Also, store in the back of the fridge where the temp is more constant/consistent.

OK, thanks, I put them a slightly larger Ziplock food container so maybe they won't turn bad so fast. They really are densely packed in those store containers.

OK, thanks, I put them a slightly larger Ziplock food container so maybe they won't turn bad so fast. They really are densely packed in those store containers.
A friend from high school grows over a ton of sprouts/year. She might know. Her blog is at:

Squash Blossom Farm

You can probably email her and ask--she probably knows more about sprouts than the average person.

I sometimes have the problem with arugula and mixed greens. I always put a folded paper towel on top of them in their original container. Once in awhile, they go bad before I can use them, other times they stay fresh and dry for days.

Back
Top Bottom