How do you make Scotch Broth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay--I didn't get around to making the lamb sausage...I made lamb broth on the weekend. I now have Scotch Broth simmering on the stove. I was too lazy to go out and get celery from the garden, instead I used celeriac (that was in the house). I don't care for turnips in my Scotch Broth, so none of that. Here's what I did:

Peeled the celeriac and chopped it
Sliced and diced one large onion
Sliced and diced 3 large carrots (peeled)
Peeled and cubed 3 potatoes
Peeled, seeded, and diced about 10 Roma tomatoes
Measured 3/4 c pearl barley, rinsed in hot water
Soaked dried button mushrooms (about 9) in hot water

I put about 2 T EVOO in a dutch oven. Sauteed the celeriac, carrot, barley, garlic (oops--3 cloves garlic) for about 6 minutes, added 2 T stock, and then the potatoes. Sauteed that for about 2 minutes. Then I added 2x water to the amount of stock (2 c stock + 4 c water) plus the mushroom water. Lemon zest, cubed lamb (ah--this was for sausage), dried mint, thyme, bay leaf, and S&P (Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper). It is simmering on the stove now. It does taste really "lamby". And smells really good!

Oh--juice of 1/2 lemon.I figure 45 minutes to 60 and it will be good to go.

So how do you make Scotch Broth?

Last edited:
Your ercipe looks spot on. I have never used lemon in a scotch broth. To add variety, I would think a good curry, or even just a bit of turmeric would be good in scotch broth. The lamb and curry would compliment each other. Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Your ercipe looks spot on. I have never used lemon in a scotch broth. To add variety, I would think a good curry, or even just a bit of turmeric would be good in scotch broth. The lamb and curry would compliment each other. Just a thought.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I'm on my third bowl...it is very good. I had thought of curry or tumeric (almost tossed a curry leaf in the pot--but didn't). It is really good and thanks--your "spot on" is a compliment! I'm just a rudimentary cook, so that's very nice to hear.

The lemon blends well with the lamb--the "chunks" of meat were larger than one would normally use, I think, for this, but I was too lazy to try and cut them up since they were frozen (being that they were prepped for sausage) (BTW, the lamb is really tender--wonder if that is because it has been frozen for a couple of days?). I normally don't add lemon to Scoth Broth, but it is a nice touch...and now I'm on my 4th bowl...(actually, coffee mug, so not a BOWL--but I have had 4 of them)...what did you have for breakfast?

Did I miss your post on how the Chili Cook-off went?

Last edited:
Just had an apple for breakfast this morning. Have a great beef and veggie soup waiting for me for lunch.

The chili cookoff isn't until Nov. 14th. I have some ideas for a secret ingredient or two that I want to try out. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I'm an so glad that your scotch broth was so good. Keep playing with your recipes. I find it almost impossible not to change things in my recipes, even the proven ones. And, good job!:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I grew up on Campbell's Scotch Broth soup, but I haven't seen it on the shelves in many years. It was my favorite soup!! Check this out........

Retro Commercial: Campbell's Soup (Scotch Broth) - YouTube

I've never attempted to make it until now. I often add fresh lemon juice to my soups, and I think that was a good choice......it brightens everything up. Thanks for the inspiration, CWS!

Kayelle said:
I grew up on Campbell's Scotch Broth soup, but I haven't seen it on the shelves in many years. It was my favorite soup!!

I was thinking the same thing, Kayelle! Loved the Scotch Broth as a kid!

Last edited:
you know, i've eaten a very wide range of foods from all over the world living here in the nyc area, i have watched a ton of cooking shows, but i've never heard of scotch broth before. :mellow:

this looks really good, and i especially love lamb as do my parents. i've been making and freezing a french lamb stew for them a few times a year, but i think i'll make this for them next.

thanks, cws. :chef:

Oops--that was lamb STOCK I made on the weekend. I suppose one could use beef stock instead. I got a bunch of lamb on special last week. Good luck if you give it a whirl!

you know, i've eaten a very wide range of foods from all over the world living here in the nyc area, i have watched a ton of cooking shows, but i've never heard of scotch broth before. :mellow:

this looks really good, and i especially love lamb as do my parents. i've been making and freezing a french lamb stew for them a few times a year, but i think i'll make this for them next.

thanks, cws. :chef:

Would you consider sharing how you make the French Lamb Stew? Lamb is expensive where I live, but there is a butcher that offers shanks at a decent price...and most of the stock used for this batch of Scotch Broth used shanks roasted in the oven to make the stock. I did add a bunch of dried mint because I like the taste mint adds to lamb...but not so much to overpower the lamb flavor.

A caveat when making Scotch Broth--I have to hold back on putting too much barley in--I love barley but if you put more than 3/4 c raw
(uncooked) barley in 8 c of stock/liquid it gets too thick...it then is more like a barley dish and not a soup. Why is it that my parents still have 18 cans of Scotch Broth (Campbell's Soup) in their pantry...

Last edited:
lamb is expensive here as well. the stew is made from neck and shoulder, the least expensive cuts.
i posted the recipe, adopted from a tony bourdain cookbook, many years ago here under the name daube provencal. i've made a bunch of tweaks over the years to suit our liking.

i'll see if i can find all of my changes and repost it along with the chipotle pomegranate sauce tomorrow night. i don't think i could type that much from my droid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom