Sweet potato pie (suggestions needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
I am baking a sweet potato pie tonight for my husband to take to work tomorrow.

Anybody have any tips for making it better than the average???:)

Not sure how you do yours, Nikki, but I'm posting my Mumma's recipe for you just in case you can see any differences. This is my single most favorite dessert in all the world. This recipe.

Sweet Potato Pie

“Anyone who’s ever eaten Sweet Potato Pie, can’t eat Pumpkin again,” sang Al Jarreau on his very first album many years ago. And that’s the truth! When Sweet Potato Pie is good, it’s in serious contention for “Best Dessert in the World” honors.

makes 2 9-inch regular or 1 10-inch deep dish pie(s)

4 large sweet potatoes
1 stick (4 ounces / 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/2 cup clover honey
3 extra large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk (or maybe not quite that much)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Unbaked pie shell(s)

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Cook sweet potatoes in large pot. When potatoes are done, remove peelings and mash in large mixing bowl. Mash VERY well. Add butter and stir until it has melted through the potatoes. Add honey, then eggs. Stir well.
2. Add milk a little at a time, taking care the mixture doesn't get too thin. Add vanilla and spices. Taste and adjust seasonings. Pour into unbaked pie shell(s).
3. Bake for about 45 minutes. The center of the pie will still appear runny. Don’t worry, the pie continues to cook as it cools.
4. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving with whipped cream or homemade vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.

Not sure how you do yours, Nikki, but I'm posting my Mumma's recipe for you just in case you can see any differences. This is my single most favorite dessert in all the world. This recipe.

Sweet Potato Pie

“Anyone who’s ever eaten Sweet Potato Pie, can’t eat Pumpkin again,” sang Al Jarreau on his very first album many years ago. And that’s the truth! When Sweet Potato Pie is good, it’s in serious contention for “Best Dessert in the World” honors.

4 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup clover honey
3 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
Unbaked pie shell(s)

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Cook sweet potatoes in large pot. When potatoes are done, remove peelings and mash in large mixing bowl. Mash VERY well. Add butter and stir until it has melted through the potatoes. Add honey, then eggs. Stir well.
2. Add milk a little at a time, taking care the mixture doesn't get too thin. Add vanilla and spices. Taste and adjust seasonings. Pour into unbaked pie shell(s).
3. Bake for about 45 minutes. The center of the pie will still appear runny. Don’t worry, the pie continues to cook as it cools.
4. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving with whipped cream or homemade vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.

Mine is pretty basic but I like the use of honey in this. I've not use mace in a sweet potato pie either. Thanks posting this..:)

Sweet Potato Pie

4 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup clover honey
3 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
Unbaked pie shell(s)

ChefJune, that is my own recipe minus some brown sugar! Awesome and delicous! I've never had anyone push it away before finishing it!!!!:chef:

I bake my sweet potatoes until they are very soft and brown liquid starts to come out of them. I also use molasses for some but not all of the sugar.

Back
Top Bottom