Broccoli and Cheese Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephylynn

Assistant Cook
Ok, so I cooked a broccoli and cheese soup (also added potatoes and chicken) and it was really yummy! Except some of the cheese turned clumpy. I don't know what I could do for this not to happen again?

I use Velveeta, which is super melty and never clumps, and if I add, say, some shredded cheddar, I take the soup off the burner and stir it in then.

Could be that you overheated the cheese. I usually use real natural cheddar and add it off the heat just before I serve it. You can also add it and keep it warm, just don't let it get boiling hot or the natural cheese can cause problems.

If you don't mind processed cheese, velveeta or American cheese work really well and were made to melt nicely.

bakechef said:
Could be that you overheated the cheese. I usually use real natural cheddar and add it off the heat just before I serve it. You can also add it and keep it warm, just don't let it get boiling hot or the natural cheese can cause problems.

If you don't mind processed cheese, velveeta or American cheese work really well and were made to melt nicely.

I agree with the overheating. That's the only time I've gotten clumps. Add any cheese you want, but make sure it's off heat, or the heat is very low.

You can run the soup through the blender or FP to unclump it.

Thanks for the info!! I did let it get too hot once the cheese was mixed in, but now I know what to so it doesn't happen again!!

Cheese fondue works over heat without clumping because of the addition of flour and wine to the mix. These keep the cheese proteins from clumping.

I'd imagine corn starch would have a similar effect on keeping the proteins from clumping.

If you send me some soup, I could help you out. :D. I just love broccoli cheese soup!

Back
Top Bottom