Making a Xmas cake and increasing ingredient sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geordy1

Assistant Cook
Hi

I am planning on making a christmas cake in a 14" round cake tin that is 4" deep, what is the best way to increase the ingredients correctly?

If you know how much larger the 14" pan is compared to the original size, just multiply each ingredient but that amount. You need to know the volume of both pans in cubic inches.

Okay, try this. A 14 inch circle (radius of 7 inches) has an area of 154 square inches. If your original recipe calls for a 9 inch circular pan (radius of 4.5 inches), that 9 inch circle has an area of 63 inches.

So, if the original recipe was also for a 4 inch tall cake 9 inches across, you need just under 2-1/2 times the original. Use 2-1/2, and you'll be certain to have enough. If the recipe was for a 2-inch tall cake, you would need twice that, or 5 times the recipe.

Most cake recipes scale alright. (Not bread and other yeast recipes. There are special considerations for them.) But you also have to think about baking time and temperature. This will be most critical if your recipe is designed for, say, 2-inch tall pans, and you want to bake it in a single 4-inch tall pan. You get into a problem of area/volume ratio. And it's further complicated by the fact that a large part of the batter is within the pan. Best to test by temperature or toothpick to test interior doneness. And be prepared to protect the open top with foil, if it gets too brown before the interior is done.

If I guessed wrong about the original 9-inch, and you have trouble adapting from some different size, post whatever the recipe is for, and I or someone will recalculate.

hi this is the recipe id like to use

1 lb (450 g) currants

6 oz (175 g) sultanas

6 oz (175 g) raisins

2 oz (50 g) glacé cherries, rinsed, dried and finely chopped

2 oz (50 g) mixed candied peel, finely chopped

3 tablespoons brandy, plus extra for 'feeding'

8 oz (225 g) plain flour

½ level teaspoon salt

¼ level teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

½ level teaspoon ground mixed spice

8 oz (225 g) unsalted butter

8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar

4 large eggs

2 oz (50 g) almonds, chopped (the skins can be left on)

1 level dessertspoon black treacle

grated zest 1 lemon

grated zest 1 orange

4 oz (110 g) whole blanched almonds (only if you don't intend to ice the cake

it is for an 8" round tin but i plan to use a 14" round tin thats 4" deep the recipe doesnt state how deep the 8" tin is?

thanks very much

Half the diameter squared times 3.14= x
x times the height = Area

8"x2" pan = 100 Sq in.
14"x4" pan = 615 Sq in.

Granted, you wouldn't fill either pan to the top, but this gives you a relative size idea.

So go ahead and multiply every ingredient quantity by factor of about 5 or so.

Back
Top Bottom