Braising Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

no mayonnaise

Sous Chef
Braised Chuck

I'm sure there are lots of braising recipes out there, here is mine and how I do a pot roast.

Chuck roast, any size
Beef stock
1 yellow onion, halved
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 head of garlic, all cloves peeled and whole
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
1/4 cup Chinese black vinegar
2 T. light soy sauce
1 t. MSG
1/2 stick cold, unsalted butter (more or less this amount, or to taste, even optional!)
Salt/Pepper/Oil

With a paring knife, make small, deep slits along the edges of the meat in which to stuff the garlic cloves. Typically I can fit about 6 or so cloves in the meat. It's easiest just to stab the paring knife down to the middle of the roast and shove the garlic clove in there. The idea is to stud the center of the meat with garlic cloves.
Season the meat with kosher salt and sear over high heat on both sides in a dutch oven. Remove from pan and season with black pepper. Char the flat sides of the halved onion in the pan, you're looking for a nice, dark almost burned color on just the flat side. Add the meat back to the pan along with the beef stock, black vinegar, carrots, 5 garlic cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns, and MSG. You need enough liquid to just reach the top of the meat. Cover and cook over low heat/just simmering until meat is tender enough to fall apart.
Remove meat from dutch oven to rest, and skim out the solids, discard. Remove the fat from the braising liquid with a ladle or gravy separator and reduce the braising liquid over medium-high heat until thickened slightly and remove from heat. Pour the juice from the meat that's resting back into the pot at this point and check for seasoning.
Add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time to the sauce, whisking to melt it. Add the next tablespoon of butter to the pan once the first is almost done melting. Don't put this back on the heat once the butter is added. Check for seasoning one last time and serve the sauce over the meat.

Serve with roasted veggies, I like to roast russet potatoes, onions, and carrot in the oven with salt/pepper/oil at 375 until fork tender.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom