Jell-o Packaging Information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPiz

Assistant Cook
You may want to pay a little more attention to any recipes you have that require Jell-o Gelatin or Pudding. My sister has discovered that the packaging size has changed. A 4 oz. package is now 3 oz. and a 6 oz. package is now 5 oz.:huh:. I am sure that will affect many recipes that we all know and love. Be careful!!! :chef:

That's the Shrink Ray at work. It's a very common way to raise prices. It doesn't often mess up recipes, but there was at least one chocolate chip brand that shrunk from 12 ounces to 10 ounces but didn't adjust the recipe on the package. Some brands are fiendish. A couple of years ago, Mission tortillas reduced the count by 2 tortillas. A while later, they restored the two tortillas and marked the package, "Now With 2 Extra Tortillas."

Not sure any recipes will be affected since the directions for the quantity of liquid to add on the packages are the same as the previous 4- and 6-ounce ones.

Yes, the reduction in package contents has been going on for quite some time.

In years past, canned fruits and vegetables were sold in 16-ounce sizes. They're now 14 1/2-ounces or so.

Ditto for coffee. The 1-pound can has now become 13 ounces.

It can still be found in a 1-pound package, but most of the bacon in the coolers at the market is 12 ounces.

The weight of the contents of our goods may have become reduced, but the prices have not.

While we're on the subject of packaging, I have a question. I might be crazy but I really think that about 10 years ago your standard packet of taco seasoning said to use 2 lbs. of ground beef with it. Now they all say 1 lb. Is this just my imagination? Using 2 lbs. of beef with the standard packet these days tastes way better than only 1 lb. It just gets too salty.

Back
Top Bottom