Everyone loves Ramen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris-Orton

Assistant Cook
Okay, ramen...usually thought of as the poor mans food, or the food budget for some woman in an alstate commercial. But, they are a lot more than just a prepackaged noodle. Without further ado, here are a couple ramen recipes I have used over the years....

Beef ramen:
cook ramen as usual, Put the noodles in a frypan add stir fry beef, a can of red beans, 1 tsp of chili powder, diced jalapeño, 1 diced onion, 1 can stewed tomato, cilantro. Heat the ingredients on the stove, until most of the broth is gone.

Alternative to water, use coffee. sounds strange, but the coffee does add flavor to the beef broth.

Chicken:
To the chicken ramen, add 1cooked chicken breast (sliced) per package. Add 1 diced apple, a cup of raisins, 1 cup dehydrated banana slices. separate from broth and mix with 1-2 tbs of peanut butter, slowly adding broth to thin out the mixture.

Chicken of the ramen
1 pack chicken ramen, 1 can of tuna, a tbs of garlic powder, 1 tsp lemon pepper, 1 cup kerneled corn (simple but tasty)

Feel free to share how you use ramen noodles

The only ramen I buy these days is the chili flavored one. I'll make it like you're supposed to then add fish sauce and lime if I have it. It's something like hot and sour soup.

I've also experimented with adding a lightly beaten egg at the end. It works better if you thicken the broth with corn starch, otherwise you don't get those delicate "sheets" of egg like in egg-drop soup.

I also sometimes like ramen dry with the flavor package sprinkled on top. I do that when hiking.

Egg ramen(chicken flavored ramen).
When the ramen is almost done cooking, drop an egg or two into the boiling water, let it set a bit and then slightly break it up. add half of seasoning packet when noodles/eggs are done. Pour out most of the water, then add the rest of seasoning. EET!

I'm throwing the doors of the closet open to admit I love Ramen !!

Yeah Yeah, I know the sodium content is equal to three or four days allotment for salt, but let's face it, I eat a lot of things that aren't good for me. I don't plan on giving up bacon or sugar either. :rolleyes:

For me, Ramen is a "once in a while" comfort food like no other. I really like all the ideas above!!

Thanks........

I love Raman noodles! The way I fix them is to add the water and then Nuke them for 3 minutes adn then let it set until the water is absorbed completely. The noodles puff up nice and big and taste so good that way!

Things that I add:

Can of Hormel Chili or a can of whatever veggie my hand hits first in the pantry.

I"m never out of Raman. I buy the sixpacks of them.

i make stir fry with them. use in chinese salad. sometimes i add seasoning package and sometimes not. they are a sometime thing in my kitchen. mostly because of the sodium

I don't eat it. It's full of MSG and I don't like the weird headaches I get from MSG.
According to Union Foods, an Americah Ramen Manufacturer, there is no MSG in the noodles, it's all in the seasoning package.

The first thing I do when I open a package of Ramen is to throw away that nasty little package of sodium and MSG.

If I want to add flavor, I'll add something to the noodles like Chicken or Beef Broth and seasonings.

Here's a KopyKat of the Ramen seasoning pack mix:

2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
salt, to taste

Or, leave out the salt all together and make it even more healthy.

Use just enough of that mix to make it taste right for you. About 1.5 teaspoons of it to start.

I add a good shake of hot sauce.

Last edited:
According to Union Foods, an Americah Ramen Manufacturer, there is no MSG in the noodles, it's all in the seasoning package.

The first thing I do when I open a package of Ramen is to throw away that nasty little package of sodium and MSG.

If I want to add flavor, I'll add something to the noodles like Chicken or Beef Broth and seasonings.

salt, to taste

Use just enough of that mix to make it taste right for you. About 1.5 teaspoons of it to start.

Well, I always assumed there was no MSG in the noodles, just in the packet of seasoning. But, if I throw out the seasoning, it loses its convenience, so I just never tried the stuff. It doesn't appeal. I don't generally eat noodles made of white flour.

Sometimes I like to use just the noodles in a soup. They don't swell up so much and I like the taste.

I like to fry the noodles. In a bowl, I mix low sodium soy sauce, ginger, fresh grated garlic, chives, lime juice and a couple drops sriracha. Then I bring a pot of water to a boil. I add the noodles and cook until they just barely start to soften, like, are still mostly uncooked but bend some, then quickly remove from the heat and drain all the water. Then I heat a little oil in a fry pan and toss in the noodles and the stuff I mixed in the bowl. I stir the noodles constantly so they don't stick. They soften up but are still kind of crisp and they absorb all the yummy flavor from the soy sauce mixture. Serve 'em up with a side of eggs scrambled with green onion and a side of brocoli. Probably not the healthiest way to eat them since they are fried but they really are tastey.

I like to fry the noodles. In a bowl, I mix low sodium soy sauce, ginger, fresh grated garlic, chives, lime juice and a couple drops sriracha. Then I bring a pot of water to a boil. I add the noodles and cook until they just barely start to soften, like, are still mostly uncooked but bend some, then quickly remove from the heat and drain all the water. Then I heat a little oil in a fry pan and toss in the noodles and the stuff I mixed in the bowl. I stir the noodles constantly so they don't stick. They soften up but are still kind of crisp and they absorb all the yummy flavor from the soy sauce mixture. Serve 'em up with a side of eggs scrambled with green onion and a side of brocoli. Probably not the healthiest way to eat them since they are fried but they really are tastey.

I've cooked rice noodles the way you describe, but never have done the ramen noodles that way. Thanks, now I know it'll work well.

This is one of my ramen creations, and I've never heard of or seen eggs cooked this way... one egg beaten (no air) ready to be scrambled... when the sauce pan of water comes to high boil, I swirl it briskly into a whirlpool, pour the egg into the middle... I quickly remove any foamy white snot that develops with a small wire mesh scoop to clarify the water... then I use the dry brick of ramen noodle to shovel all the congealing egg up against the curvature of the pan, forming and holding it in place until it sets into a football shape... I slide the brick of ramen underneath for it to cook, add the Chicken Flavor soup packet... the fluffy egg is done and resting on top for the remaining minute or two... to finish, I drain... drain some more on paper towel... use paper towel to form hot egg into nicer football... plate noodle, omelet, drizzle with ketchup. The egg has the sublime texture of a cloud.

I call it my "Ramen Breakfast." I know, that sounds soo wrong!

My favorite brands are probably Nissin and Charumera.

Timothy said:

salt, to taste

I may have to try that one sometime. Sounds down right tasty!

I may have to try that one sometime. Sounds down right tasty!

If you let the noodles sit in the broth for about 30 minutes after boiling them for 3 minutes in it, they get nice and plump with the flavorable broth and *then* add the 1.5 teaspoon of seasoning and reheat the noodles.

You'll get addicted to it. I have this as an easy supper quite often.

Last edited:
purple.alien.giraffe said:

A picture of theses plated up.

ForumRunner_20111121_125820.jpg

I almost bought some yesterday just to see what the fuss was all about.

nothing's wrong, blissful. We all have our own tastes. i read this thread to see if there was any ideas that would interest me in this stuff, but alas.

Back
Top Bottom