Chocolate Coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefathome

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I'm about to make these awesome Oreo Kisses. However, when I tried them yesterday, the melted chocolate (Hershey's dark chocolate bars) was rather thick (as expected...). This caused too much chocolate on the coating and almost no easily excessed chocolate.

Eventually, the chocolate layer was too thick, taking over the whole thing.

Any ideas for a more tender chocolate layer that will be easy-to-coat, will harden (in fridge), and won't be too thick? Maybe adding butter? Maybe cream?

Any tip would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Arnon

I had the same problem in the past. I was told to add vegitable oil. And Another thing i did was instead of pooring the chocolatte over I brushed it to get very thin layer.

Looks like she used chocolate "bark" which is a chocolate flavored coating, that is the easiest to work with, but not the best flavor.

I've used veg oil or shortening in my chocolate with good results.

I've had pretty good luck using a double boiler. Kept an eye on the temperature of the melted chocolate.

1 package of chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon of shortening

Last time I made dipped Oreo's. I just added everything together. Inserted a candy thermometer. If memory is correct I didn't let the temp get too high. Might have been around 100 degrees, just enough to keep it smooth, dipping consistency. I used a fork for the dipping. Tap off the excess chocolate. Dipped twice it will quickly harden up once it was placed on the wax paper. You don't have to dip it twice. I just did it for kicks.. :ROFLMAO:

Refrigerate a few minutes. If you have some chocolate left over you can use the fork and drizzle the chocolate on the top.

Munky.

For coating my truffles and peppermint patties, etc. I use a high quality dark (or milk) chocolate and add either a small dollop of shortening or heavy cream (not ganache consistency, just a little to give creaminess and shine but still allowing it to harden.

Back
Top Bottom