Beef Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Girl49

Cook
My mom used to make a beef dish with sour cream, mushrooms, and I think tomato paste, and she called it stroganoff. Does most stoganoff -- or traditional stroganoff -- have a tomato element? I loved it, rich and creamy, over egg noodles. Anyone have favorite version?

Traditional Stroganov contains no tomato. Although many current versions are slow cooked using cheaper cuts of meat, the traditional recipes call for fast cooking with good steak cuts.

I really like this over buttered wide egg noodles.

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard 2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C mushrooms, sliced thin
4 C Onions, sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles (one pound) or rice (2 cups).

Beef Stoganov

Andy: You are the best!! Thank you. I'm putting this right in my file. I just had dinner and am hungry again already. :)

Andy, that is one fine looking beef stroganoff recipe. I will be giving that a try. What is the purpose of the sugar? Can I leave it out?

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. My original recipe was from Betty Crocker, but by now (almost 40 years later), it is just my own. If you use tomato paste (and I do), you do not need sugar. It is sweet enough. My husband's family are of eastern European background, and he used to make it a more pure white/brown sauce. It was good, but he likes mine better. He jokes (but it is true) that it is a cross between real stroganoff and goulash. To make it easier (that is to say less likely for the sour cream to separate), I take the sour cream, tomato paste, and a bit of Wondra flour, and mix them in a bowl together. Then I add them to the meat, onion, garlic, mushroom, off the heat, then gradually re-warm the mixture until it thickens.

My husband makes a great French onion soup, and we always have leftovers. I often use the leftover soup as part of my stroganoff.

Top stuff Andy that is the nearest anyone has got to the recipe my Georgian Uncle showed me 50 yrs ago.
Instead of the mustard and sugar he dusted the meat with seasoned flour so when you add the sour cream it thicken quickly to almost scrambled eggs consistency. I have said this before that he said it was trad in his part of the ussr to eat special crisp fries with strog.:)

Here's the recipe I use and it's fantastic stuff. I have subbed sherry for the cognac when I was out with success. I have never used whipping cream, I've always made creme fraiche to use.

Beef Stroganoff

Bon Appétit | September 1999

Last edited by a moderator:
Zereh, I will be trying your recipe as soon as possible. If I wasn't at work I would be making it now!

My husband...jokes (but it is true) that it is a cross between real stroganoff and goulash.

I tend to think of stroganoff with a tomato element since my mom made it that way and it was SOOO good. But also want to try Andy and Zereh versions.

stroganoff.jpg

Above is the photo.http://www.howtocookmeat.com/recipes/beef/beefstroganoffonbutteredeggnoodles.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom