Sear slow cook pot roast the night before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ottenm

Assistant Cook
Hey All-

I have a nice roast I plan to slow cook tomorrow with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.. My mornings are a little hectic. May I have permission to sear the roast tonight, and then pop it back into the fridge overnight with the crock pot loaded up for the morning?

My searing strategy would be to leave it out of the fridge for 1/2 hour or so, rub it with olive oil and some herbs/spices, then sear for about 4 minutes per side. Perhaps listening to some gentle music.

Thanks for any feedback.

No point in leaving it out of the fridge before you start. Sear it over HIGH heat and play hard rock while you do it. It's seared when the surface is the color of dark chocolate. Season with salt and pepper. Other herbs and spices can burn during searing.

According to the USDA

Never brown or partially cook beef to refrigerate and finish cooking later because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed. It is safe to partially pre-cook or microwave beef immediately before transferring it to the hot grill to finish cooking.

Although this is a very dangerous practice with poultry, it is probably less risky with a beef roast since the bacteria will only be on the surface of the meat.

I wouldn't do that. You won't save but maybe 5 minutes of time by searing it right before you cook it. Plus you need to deglaze the pan while it's hot right after searing.

I hate to say it, but I don't brown my roast. I just throw/fling/chuck/launch it into the CP and cook it.

I hate to say it, but I don't brown my roast. I just throw/fling/chuck/launch it into the CP and cook it.

That's how I used to do them. I still enjoyed them. If I was pressed for time and didn't want to smoke up the kitchen or dirty my CI skillet I wouldn't hesitate to just drop it in the CP straight out of the fridge.

pacanis said:
That's how I used to do them. I still enjoyed them. If I was pressed for time and didn't want to smoke up the kitchen or dirty my CI skillet I wouldn't hesitate to just drop it in the CP straight out of the fridge.

For me, I find the browning disappears after cooking in the CP. It's not throughout the meat, and for me, everything comes out the same color, browning or not. It's all good!

BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Browning meat gives it much more meaty flavor. IMO you should always do it if you can. It's the Maillard Reaction.

It takes less than 10 min to sear and the point about deglazing is an excellent one because there is a lot of flavor in the fond.

thanks a million!

Thank you to all. Perfect advice all around. I know what's at stake.

Also, I will unload the ABBA and try out one of the dusty CD's. Let's see, I wonder what "Back In Black" means....

Peace!

ottenm said:
Thank you to all. Perfect advice all around. I know what's at stake.

Also, I will unload the ABBA and try out one of the dusty CD's. Let's see, I wonder what "Back In Black" means....

Peace!

Rock on!

Happy roasting, ottenm!

But the other dude said to play hard rock and I need to roast to come out good.

ottenm said:
But the other dude said to play hard rock and I need to roast to come out good.

Roasts only listen to hard rock. Abba will work in a pinch, but I would do Black Sabbath or AC/DC. JMHO.

Last edited:
If you're doing it in a crockpot , I agree with dawgluver. My mornings are hectic too, so I put the veggies in the bottom, roast over that, add liquid and seasoning the night before. Leave in the fridge overnight then pop in the insert and turn it on before we leave. If it's a pot roast, it works great - an oven roast is a different story.

I cook my pot roast in a dutch oven, lets me sear it, deglaze, and braise properly all on the stovetop, leave the oven for roasting the veggies--which BTW are better cooked separately in the oven and not with the roast! I can also remove the meat and reduce the braise liquid for a nice sauce. I wouldn't even know how to operate a crock pot or slow cooker, I've never used one before.

Last edited:
I love ABBA!!!! :)

Use to have all their recordings. Have seen the play twice, have the movie CD, been to see the movie about three times, and I have the complete musical score. I think I will put CD movie in the player tonight when I start to get tired and it is time to quit doing stupid chores around the house. :chef:

I cook my pot roast in a dutch oven, lets me sear it, deglaze, and braise properly all on the stovetop, leave the oven for roasting the veggies--which BTW are better cooked separately in the oven and not with the roast! I can also remove the meat and reduce the braise liquid for a nice sauce. I wouldn't even know how to operate a crock pot or slow cooker, I've never used one before.

So, you don't roast the vegis in the same liquid as the meat? Do you dry roast the vegis? How the heck long do you braise your pot roast that the vegis aren't as good done with the meat?

I love the veggies in the same liquid as the roast (so much flavor from the liquid) - if I have time and the chance to stop home mid-day, I par-boil them the night before and leave them out of the crock pot in the fridge overnight - pop (throw, fling, toss, whatever verb suits) the roast in come morning and add the partially cooked veggies early afternoon and turn the temp from low to high. Works every time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom