Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken

3-4 pounds chicken thighs
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
20-40 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact

In a 6 quart oval slow cooker, Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Transfer to slow cooker, on top of the onion.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4.

img_1082016_0_b781b4899a3e5691d92b4b3af8bf49c3.jpg

img_1082016_1_20236ded3aae0b691abc80c43b813ad7.jpg

20 cloves of garlic? Holy Garlic Breath, Batman!

I gotta say though, that made my mouth water!

Super easy recipe. I would only be hesitant because it would seem that the garlic would be over-powering!

20 cloves...WOW! That's a LOT of garlic!

When you slow cook garlic, the result is sooooo different from the normal, eye-tearing result........ this takes the garlic to a whole new, sweet (almost) level !

You Must try it............BTW there is a 40- clove version !

Thank you for the recipe Lucky.

It looks fantastic! Defrosting some chicken thighs right now. I'm going to try this out tonight. Have a feeling I better make a little extra. Once everyone gets a whiff of it cooking. I'll need to be quick if I'm going to eat tonight. :LOL:

What did you serve with your dish?

Thank you

Munky.

I served Buttered Brown Rice, and baked corn casserole............

I have pics of the baked corn...............
img_1082099_0_b8fec48a347f7544d4bd18d99ae7b66e.jpg

img_1082099_1_c3c4fc1a8673a8266c5ea94123111fdd.jpg

img_1082099_2_e304cb6132cf4b55b3ea08e6a54e6bea.jpg

Don't have it written down, but if you want, I could work it up........

I served Buttered Brown Rice, and baked corn casserole............

I have pics of the baked corn...............
img_1082101_0_b8fec48a347f7544d4bd18d99ae7b66e.jpg

img_1082101_1_c3c4fc1a8673a8266c5ea94123111fdd.jpg

img_1082101_2_e304cb6132cf4b55b3ea08e6a54e6bea.jpg

Don't have it written down, but if you want, I could work it up........

I've never had baked corn casserole. Would love the recipe to try it sometime.
Looks good, nice warm comfort food.. It's freezing here this morning..

Munky.

When you slow cook garlic, the result is sooooo different from the normal, eye-tearing result........ this takes the garlic to a whole new, sweet (almost) level !

You Must try it............BTW there is a 40- clove version !

It must be similar to roasting garlic. That also takes a lot of the heat out and tones down the flavor.

Thanks! This one will be tried at my house!

Thanks LT. I've got a new crock pot, lots of fresh garlic and lots of chicken thighs.

I love to boil crushed garlic in with potatoes I'm going to mash.

Looks wonderful LT!! However I do it in the oven with 40 cloves and a cup of wine.
You're so right about the garlic, it turns nutty, not harsh and it's wonderful to dip bread in the sauce and spread a clove of garlic on the top. Real comfort food!

Well mine's in the crock pot now. Have some sourdough bread ready to be toasted.
I'll use Kayell's idea for a spread. Hope I can get the onions to caramelize just a little bit.

I'm not sorry I quickly gave hubby the Bum's rush out the door. Your going to be late Dear! :angel: He thought it smelled good to..
Sorry, but smelling this dish cooking. I'm not sharing it with anybody. :LOL:

Munky.

I started a crockpot around 1 p.m., with 3 frozen thighs, leftover frozen sweet peas and kernel corn, plus a little baggie with the last of the basil I grew, and great chunks of garlic.

I have the crockpot plugged in by my feet. It's nice and cozy.

Huh, I never thought of doing this in the crockpot! Good call LT, I'll be doing this one ASAP too. Thanks!

Done!

LT,

You outdid yourself on this one. It turned out perfectly. This recipe is a definite keeper. :chef:

Took some of the garlic cloves and made a paste with them, added it to some butter.

Spread it onto some sourdough bread, topped with mozzarella cheese, and some of the onions that had simmered in the pot. Toasted it for a few minutes on my paninni maker. Oh it was good.:wub:

Made a nice gravy with the juices. Had a side of mashed potatoes and salad to go with it.

Thank you for the great recipe.

Munky.

LT,

You outdid yourself on this one. It turned out perfectly. This recipe is a definite keeper. :chef:

Took some of the garlic cloves and made a paste with them, added it to some butter.

Spread it onto some sourdough bread, topped with mozzarella cheese, and some of the onions that had simmered in the pot. Toasted it for a few minutes on my paninni maker. Oh it was good.:wub:

Made a nice gravy with the juices. Had a side of mashed potatoes and salad to go with it.

Thank you for the great recipe.

Munky.

Stuffed as I still am after supper this evening, your description of that bread preparation made me hungry again! Serious Yum!

i'll be making this as soon as i get home.

results to follow.

i was thinking of tossing in a sprig of rosemary, or maybe some garlic chives.

also, if i get ambitious, i was going to brown tbe chicken in a seperate pan first. whaddya think, lt (et al)?

i'll be making this as soon as i get home.

results to follow.

i was thinking of tossing in a sprig of rosemary, or maybe some garlic chives.

also, if i get ambitious, i was going to brown tbe chicken in a seperate pan first. whaddya think, lt (et al)?

Browning the chicken beforehand might dry it out. Lt's timing, I went 4 hrs, was perfect. Not at all dry.

When it's done and removed from the crock, the juices left after skimming off the fat, has a nice rich tan color. Not too dark or light. I did place some of the garlic cloves and onions around the sides, so that the heating element would brown them.
Some had caramelized.

Must say before I forget. The left over chicken ( what their was of it ) shredded. Made a great pannini. Just used a simple olive oil, herbed base, with the garlic and onion paste added to it.
Maybe save your garlic chives for that?

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom