Pickled Shitake Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Rocklobsters mushroom thread reminded me of this recipe. I bought a large bag, really a lifetime supply of dried Shitakes at Costco and discovered a great way to use them.

These soy and sherry marinated dried mushrooms taste great sliced and served on grilled steak, or in salads, or really for unlimited use in Asian cooking.

4 cups dried shitake mushrooms, stems removed
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup sherry vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
2 3" pieces of ginger, peeled

Place mushrooms in a large bowl and cover with 5 cups of boiling water. Press them down with a plate to keep them submerged. Let them soak for 15 minutes or longer.
Lay some paper towels in a colander and drain the mushrooms, reserving 2 cups of the liquid. Pour the reserved 2 cups of liquid into a 4 qt. saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients along with the softened mushrooms. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool and transfer to a 1 1/2 quart container. Refrigerate.

Last edited:
Oooh, Kayelle, some of my favorite flavors! I still have some Hen of the Woods somewhere, bet that would be tasty too! Thanks!

These sound tasty. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could use instead of the soy, since I'm not supposed to eat soy?

maybe fish sauce, or possibly worchestershire sauce?

k-l, these sound great. i love shiitakes, and i still have a few of the dried ones left from a similar bag i bought at costco.

i'll give this a try. thanks. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom