How Did This Happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I look at this picture and wonder why they kept building this bridge up to the point where they were almost done. At some point earlier in the construction, someone somewhere should have noticed this 'minor discrepancy'. How about when they were putting the supports in before they started with any of the roadway?

Attachments

• user24786_pic1914_1247084405.jpg
    user24786_pic1914_1247084405.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 173
I look at this picture and wonder why they kept building this bridge up to the point where they were almost done. At some point earlier in the construction, someone somewhere should have noticed this 'minor discrepancy'. How about when they were putting the supports in before they started with any of the roadway?

Andy, I think that is one of those "Photo-Shopped" images. I've met plenty of engineers in my life and none stupid enough to do anything like that. Heck, "sighting" along it's edges would tell you it was off track long before getting to that point.

Photo-shopped images can sure look real. I've been fooled by a few of them.

No golden spike celebration for them.
Photo shopped or not, Last year there was a small bridge project going on not very far from me. That road was supposed to be closed a couple months and it was closed most of the year. The steel that was ordered was not long enough to span where the old bridge was. oops. Mistakes happen. That's why engineers take so many english courses.

I would guess photo shop as well. My dad was an architectural draftsman, and I've had friends over the years who were engineers. You cannot believe photography these days unless you took the photo yourself.

Hahahahaha!!! That's hilarious!

During my working years we used to read the specs that came to us from our off-shore engineers and then toss them.

We always made what were called on-site adjustments.

i don't know if that picture was photoshopped, but has anyone ever heard of the tacoma narrows bridge?

big time oops.

that's what engineering is all about. thinking of what factors will need to be considered before starting the actual project.

how could the builders not have considered the effects of wind?

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse "Gallopin' Gertie" - YouTube

It's easy to have 20/20 hindsight. The wind was only 40 mph. They learned a lot from that. Nothing like that had ever happened before. I'm pretty sure they considered the wind, but no one knew about that sort of effect.

the construction workers knew as they were building it.

but yeah, a lot has been learned since.

that's what engineering is all about. thinking of what factors will need to be considered before starting the actual project.

how could the builders not have considered the effects of wind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

You have to consider the fact that fifty percent of the engineers working in the world today graduated in the bottom half of their class! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

that only works in a communist society.

here, the bottom half either ask you if you want fries with that order, or become politicians... :angel:

You have to consider the fact that fifty percent of the engineers working in the world today graduated in the bottom half of their class! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Obviously, they are the ones who built that bridge! "Wind? No, we never even considered it! What's wind gonna do to a big ole' heavy bridge?"

Back
Top Bottom