Meyer Lemons...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Thanks DCers, :mad: I'm now hooked on Meyer lemons...3x the price, but OH SO GOOD!!!!!!! I hope the store doesn't stop carrying them. Meyer lemons only showed up right before XMas, and I wouldn't haven't distinquished a difference between those and the ones with the big fat skins and so bitter if it hadn't been for folks here. But, when Meyer lemons aren't available locally, I imagine I will be cursing DC! Ignorance was bliss re: meyer lemons...:in_love:

I have a Meyer lemon tree in my back yard. Unfortunately, they are seasonal. Get your fill in the winter, because you won't get them when the weather warms.

Lucky you!!! How long is the season? I'll stock up and juice them and put the juice in the freezer. Not sure if I want to grate the peel since they aren't organic. But they are from the US!! Gotta say, a wedge of a Meyer lemon, some coarse sea salt, and a shot of ice cold vodka is better than tequilla-lime-salt.

Last edited:
I have a Meyer lemon in my yard also and I have a crop pretty much all year SS. Perhaps I don't have the high summer temps you do in your area of Florida.

It's no doubt they are 3X the price CWS, as they don't ship well, and are hardly ever found in grocery stores.

Try using them in Alex's Lemon Bars !! :yum: You can cut back on the sugar some.

I live in SE Missouri, and I have a Meyer lemon tree (well, it is too little to be a tree, just couple feet tall) in my sunroom. It spends the summer outside.

I got it from Stark Bros. Nursery two years ago. It arrived with 2 teeny lemons on it, and several flowers. Right now, it has 5 big lemons hanging on it, and I have used 3 in the last month or so.

Grow your own, C-dub!!

Lucky you!!! How long is the season? I'll stock up and juice them and put the juice in the freezer. Not sure if I want to grate the peel since they aren't organic. But they are from the US!! Gotta say, a wedge of a Meyer lemon, some coarse sea salt, and a shot of ice cold vodka is better than tequilla-lime-salt.

Nooo, don't use the peel. The dyes that are allowed on citrus fruit aren't food dyes. They are toxic. Almost guaranteed they were dyed. They probably have to pick them before they turn yellow, since they are being shipped.

So, I should have gotten that small box of Meyer lemons at Costco yesterday? The sign said they cost works out to a bit less than $8/kg. That's kinda useless info for comparing, since all the stores around here sell lemons by quantity, not weight.

In what way are they better?

They are sweeter. They don't seem to be quite as acidic as other lemons. And, the peels are thin, so you can peel them and add wedges to things (or eat as if an orange).

No meyer lemons here. I'll just make do with the regular kind.

Ditto here. I have never seen them here. When I went to visit my girlfriend, she has a tree just loaded with nice big ones. Bright natuaral yellow. I brought about six home with me. Before I left to come home, she was picking up the ones from the ground and tossing them in the trash. Her neighbors take them as they want. :chef:

A very nice lady (she knows who she is) sent me some Meyer lemons from her tree. They were excellent. I wish I could grow them here. Maybe in a container, not too heavy since I have steps.

I still owe her something grown here, but this last year was bad for huckleberries and cherries.

I went to get more--GONE! However, there was one pound on the 50% off table. Grabbed that. Supposedly they will have more next week. My plan was to buy a few pounds and juice them (if I could resist eating them). Next week, hopefully. Just like the first time I tried poutine, I'm hooked on Meyer lemons!

I live in NW Florida and had three Meyer lemon trees for several years. One of them produced so many the first year one of the branches broke. It was my fault. I should have clipped a couple off. Then we had a really bas deep freeze spell one year and that did them in. I want to plant some more and also try a Blood orange tree again. The blood orange tree produced one wonderful orange before it's demise.

I bought a half dozen Meyer Lemons today. My first time with this fruit. Too full from munching other stuff all day to give them a true taste test. I haven't seen them in stores here previous, although that's probably me overlooking them when in season and trying to find them at the wrong time of year. I think I will have one for a taste test at breakfast and then make something with them tomorrow. Not sure what to make, but it will be special.

I bought a half dozen Meyer Lemons today. My first time with this fruit. Too full from munching other stuff all day to give them a true taste test. I haven't seen them in stores here previous, although that's probably me overlooking them when in season and trying to find them at the wrong time of year. I think I will have one for a taste test at breakfast and then make something with them tomorrow. Not sure what to make, but it will be special.

You are showing incredible restraint.:ohmy:

They are a bit sweeter, not as tart. Makes biting into one much easier without the pucker power of a regular lemon. The skin and pith are thinner, too. The ones I had juiced so beautifully, I felt I got more juice from them than I would have gotten from regular lemons. They are perfect for people trying to scale back on sugar!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom