My Own Knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nutmegger1957

Assistant Cook
The wife has been our cook for 33 + years now, and her M.S. (diagnosed in 2006) has been getting the best of her lately. So, I'm learning to cook more than just burgers and pancakes, for the sake of both of us.

Anything and Everything (there are always tools and gadgets out there that we DON'T have, but anyway........) that I could possibly need for cooking, are available in drawers, or on shelves in our kitchen.

That said, I wonder if (of course I COULD, but whether it is necessary or not is another matter) I should go out and buy myself my OWN 4 piece set of cutlery?

Let's see...........I'll need a Chef's Knife, a Paring Knife, a Bread Knife, a Boning Knife, and a Roast Knife..........is that it?

Those alone could cost me quite a bit for a good set, I'll bet! Perhaps I should just use HERS????????

-Nutmegger1957

I'd use hers (unless she's possessive about it and feels it is one more loss in what she can control) until and unless you get a feel for what you like and don't. Once you do, buy what you want one piece at a time. Unless you find you don't like hers, I can't imagine any reason for two full sets of knives in a household.

If you're new to cooking, use her stuff for a while and identify any shortcomings. Then buy to fill the need.

You don't have to buy a set. Buy the knives one at a time. Chef's and paring are the most used. A bread knife if you cut a lot of bread. Most people never use a boning knife for boning.

Of course, all this goes out the window if you just WANT to buy new knives.

I stood in Stop & Shop this morning in the aisle where all the kitchen gadgets, pans and tools are............I saw the prices on the various individual knives and knife sets.
(We have a kitchen supply store in town too, and I've been there, but didn't price their knives. I figure THEIRS are even MORE expensive).

In the end, I didn't buy any, mostly because I figure I can use what we already have.

What strikes me, as I explore learning about different knives, is the vast array of materials are available. Both for the blade, as well as the handles.

I've been a knife carrier for other more common tasks, my entire life. It started way back when my grandfather gave me my first pocket knife when I was 10 or so. But this type of "knife buying" is another animal altogether.

As for my wife's set. She's had that set for perhaps 25 years or so now. Most, if not all of the knives are still useable, and get used all the time. I'm sure they don't have the edge on them that they once did, but she never asks me to sharpen them, and we keep them in the wood block they came in.

-Nutmegger1957

It might be a good idea to start by having your current knives professionally sharpened.

Andy, I don't disagree. However, I'm a fairly "outdoorsy" kinda guy, and have been sharpening knives for years. I'm sure I could do it just fine, if she would let me. I believe she knows I can do it...............it's just a possessive thing on her part I think.

She certainly allows me to use all her things in the kitchen, (after all, it truly IS "her kitchen") and trusts me ...........but still.........

That's why I wanted my own set of knives.

Hey, I'm almost CERTAIN she wouldn't want me buying my own skillet!! (lol).

-Nutmegger1957

OK. My point was to have sharp knives. If she doesn't want you to do it. Have them done professionally so you have sharp knives. You know a sharp knife is a valuable tool.

How were the knives sharpened before? However it was, it's still sharpening HER knives. And if it helps here, it's HER knives in HER kitchen, where you're now "helping out." If her cognitive condition allows (highly variable with MS), involve her as much as she's able. Not every serious cook could easily turn the kitchen wholly over to someone else. Maybe it's just best to ask her if she thinks you should use her knives or buy more for you to use. I suspect that, when she thinks about it that way, even if the whole idea of "losing" her kitchen is troubling, she will say it would be silly to buy new knives, because it would be. But it would be HER decision to give them over. And right now, being able to make as many decisions as possible is important. Once the new situation becomes the norm, you can, if you want, involve her in deciding about any new knife in the kitchen where YOU BOTH then operate. You see - she's not out - it's just that you're now in, too.

A lot of us would buy far more knives than we need, just because we find neat ones. (Actually, a lot of use HAVE bought far more kitchen stuff than we need, but that's part of the fun.

If you do choose to buy new knives I would go to the resturant supply store for sure, the prices will be better than say Bed, Bath & Beyond. I would implore you not to buy knives at the supermarket. I am of the mindset when you buy cookware {knives in particular} on the cheap you will end up replacing them at least once, possibly more. Buy once, buy quality and have something that will last a lifetime. IMO

If you have problems controlling the knives and they don't feel right in your hand, then yes, buy knives that fit your hand. It is much safer and you will get fewer cuts and slices on your own person.

The knife lovers here are giving you permission to check out the knives!:LOL: And do check the Kitchen Supply store, they have quality products at good prices.

If you do choose to buy new knives I would go to the resturant supply store for sure, the prices will be better than say Bed, Bath & Beyond. I would implore you not to buy knives at the supermarket. I am of the mindset when you buy cookware {knives in particular} on the cheap you will end up replacing them at least once, possibly more. Buy once, buy quality and have something that will last a lifetime. IMO

For the most part I agree with you. But, if you buy something cheap, you aren't finding out that you don't like a particular feature with an expensive item.

ah, we get to the heart of the matter............what is "cheap" in the Kitchen knife world? (THIS ought to open a can of worms.........lol).

-Nutmegger1957

I tend to buy everything used so for me patience is more of an issue than cash. I spend what I need to in order to get the job done.

Polished Topaz advice is excellent but it made me chuckle because I am at the point in my life where even the cheap items will likely last me a lifetime.

At this point I tend to put the money into the ingredients and not the equipment. If you buy a good steak you should not need a good knife.:LOL:

Cheap to me is "not made well." The first step is to shop and discover what you like, and learn what goes into a good knife. What metal do you want? Stainless steel, carbon steel, Damascus? Type of handle, weight of the knife. Is a 6 inch or an 8 inch chef's nicer in your hand? Maybe you need a 10 inch for the best balance.

I use the shorter knives as I have smaller hands and arthritis, but I like a bit bigger handle. Counter height is uncomfortable for me, so an easier to wield knife is best so i don't get too tired "reaching up."

Or maybe you just need to go the sword length:angel:

Last edited:
It might be a good idea to start by having your current knives professionally sharpened.

This is the best advice of all.

Old knives are not necessarily inferior. My knives are all at least 30 years old. But I keep them protected in a knife block, steel them regularly, and have them sharpened as needed. I seriously doubt that I will ever replace them - there is no need. Good, well maintained knives will last a lifetime.

A professional can sharpen them better than when they were new. They can often repair damage from abuse. And they can show you how to properly maintain them.

So unless there is something about "the wife's" :ermm: knives, I'd take Andy's advice and sharpen them. Then use them for a while to see what does & doesn't work for you. At this point in your journey, I doubt you really know what exactly you need in a knife.

If you buy a good steak you should not need a good knife.:LOL:

...or good teeth.
tumblr_l0h4rckJcg1qb4enoo1_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom