Oxtails, advice/help, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I was just given ox tails, are these really from an ox? I dropped off a spare computer at a girlfriend's house and she gave me ox tails. What do I make with them? (oh gosh, it turns out I bartered and just didn't realize I was getting ox tails!) Anything you make with them tried and true, I only have this one chance.:LOL:

Last edited:
They're most likely from beef of some form. I get mine at a local butcher. Whatever they are, they're delicious. Quite flavorful and very rich.

One of my favorite ways to prepare them is to make soup out of them. The recipe in the link I'm sending you to is one I've had for too many years to count and it's always a winner with anyone who has eaten it.

Given where you live, it is most likely beef (if you were in Europe or Asia, it might really be ox). Put them on a baking sheet along with carrots, onions, celery, some garlic cloves, and sprinkle with S&P, thyme. Spray or brush with some olive oil or butter. Bake at about 350 until they turn brown (all of it). This will make your house smell wonderful. I cannot tell you how long it will take, just go with the flow. Turn things once in awhile. Then slide them all into a stock pot and cover with water. Add a bay leaf or two, lots of ground black pepper. If the "ox" tail is in one piece, take a big knife and see if you can separate the sections (think a poultry back or neck) before putting in the water to get the most protein into your stock. Then bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let it cook all day. Strain. You now have the most wonderful beef stock in the world. You can make soups and stews, or just have a hearty cup of it (especially good if you or someone in your household is feeling puny). great base for French onion soup, for bouef bourgonion, add a dollop of tomato paste at the end of the cooking to sweeten and thicken it a bit.

It is an all-day thing, but you'll have some of the best stock for many purposes.

Last edited:
Or, alternatively, if you live in south western Wisconsin, give them to me! LOL!
Ha ha.
What great suggestions both of you.
Her father raises beef so I'm going think they are cow tails......errr ox tails.
I'll give a try at cooking them.

Bliss, in my opinion you were gifted with just about the most flavorful part of of beef!! I'm jealous as they sell for a fortune IF you can find them.

If you go to the search function here at DC, and type in Ox tails you will find loads of entries about them.

Lucky you!! :chef::yum:

Let us know what you do with them! I LOVE Ox tail stew!!

Love Ox-tail soup! Makes the best Beef and Barley soup, IMHO. Katie's recipe looks divine.

Real easy. Just brown in batches in Worcestershire and or low sodium soy sauce. Once done add onions garlic thyme salt and pep . Once you cook those down add the meat back and two- three cups-beef or chick broth and simmer med to med low for 2 hrs and the meat will fall from the bone. Serve over rice and peas.... But that's another lesson.

oxtails - just that simple word, OXTAILS, gets my juices flowing overtime!! oxtails do become available to me on occasion, marked down. even on sale, they are quite expensive, but once i am face-to-face with that package of round little fat and bony chunks of beef, i immediately cave....:)

I made oxtail soup after Christmas. A few days before Christmas, I browned the oxtail in butter, then added water, garlic cloves, shallots, rosemary, thyme, and peppercorns. I boiled all this for about 6 hours, then drained off all the liquid and it turned into a heavenly beef stock. I then combined the stock with more onions, garlic, left over prime rib (with two rib bones), the meat from the oxtails, tomato paste, and spices and made the best beef soup I've ever tasted. The oxtail made such heavenly stock.

I like to dust them with a little seasoned flour, brown them in a pot, add mirepoix vegetables, cover with veal stock and braise in the oven until the meat is tender and falls off the bone. You can use the meat for a nice harty pasta, or my favorite is to make an ox tail hash with yukon gold potatoes, carrots, onions and serve it with a grilled ribeye.

Thank you to everyone for the advice, recipes and suggestions. I'm looking forward to making this ox tail into a meal.

Well, they are one heck of a lot larger than your average American dairy or beef cattle! I remember seeing a half of one on a spit in an Oktoberfest "tent" in Munich. And in fields! But, yeah, I just remember it tasting like any other beef.

Well, they are one heck of a lot larger than your average American dairy or beef cattle! I remember seeing a half of one on a spit in an Oktoberfest "tent" in Munich. And in fields! But, yeah, I just remember it tasting like any other beef.

They are probably a bigger breed and they are allowed to get a lot older (and bigger).

an ox is a a castrated steer, over seven years old...................

img_1094196_0_c7e13ff6ffce4daad0fff3889dd76ae1.jpg

img_1094196_1_0c5b40a4d453cbc37816df4eb589a851.jpg

Back
Top Bottom