Brussels sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
I was just looking into past posts on Brussels sprouts and along with other vegetables a lot people must not have been raised right. The general sentiment is hate the vegetable. Very strange! They need to taste it raw and come up with their own ideas. Some are good raw, some are not, but doing that will give them some ideas about what to do with the vegetable. The recipes I see too often are overly complex and not suited to the average newbie. Me? I really like the simple approach. Some things, simply steam and butter. Others like something a little more tangy, but this hate the vegetable thing must stop! Perhaps mothers and restaurant owners need to stop over cooking the vegetables, oh, and maybe stop buying the cheapest brand. Mutter, mutter, mutter, etc.

I was just looking into past posts on Brussels sprouts and along with other vegetables a lot people must not have been raised right. The general sentiment is hate the vegetable. Very strange! They need to taste it raw and come up with their own ideas. Some are good raw, some are not, but doing that will give them some ideas about what to do with the vegetable. The recipes I see too often are overly complex and not suited to the average newbie. Me? I really like the simple approach. Some things, simply steam and butter. Others like something a little more tangy, but this hate the vegetable thing must stop! Perhaps mothers and restaurant owners need to stop over cooking the vegetables, oh, and maybe stop buying the cheapest brand. Mutter, mutter, mutter, etc.

What do you mean by "not raised right"?:ermm:

Seems to me that food preferences are our right, not to be dictated by you or anyone else.

I would take those lovely brussels sprouts on the stalk, form them into a circle, and replace the evergreen wreath on my front door. I'm kinda crafty.

Last edited:
I don't see why "this hate the vegetable thing" should stop. Many people have strong food likes and dislikes. I think "hate" is too strong a word but often that's the one people use. And as far as I've seen, Brussels sprouts are more often disliked than liked.

Myself? I love all kinds of Brassica, including Brussels sprouts. (I dislike frozen ones.) I like to steam fresh Brussels sprouts and serve with butter.

My main objection to other peoples' food dislikes is that it makes it difficult for me when I like the food and want to serve company who doesn't like. It makes it a PITA to plan meals sometimes. There's nothing to be gained by feeding people things they don't like.

Get over people not liking Brussels sprouts. I'm pretty sure there's more of them than of us.

Last edited:
I love to chime in on this one. Right now I'm micro-thawing some Brussels sprouts. I'll trim and halve, then toss in the butter I pan-sear some flat-iron steaks in, and we'll be in business.

I don't remember ever eating Brussels sprouts as a kid. When my husband told me it was his favorite veg, I worked at it. Since I started cooking in Florida, I actually was dealing with my winter crop from my garden. What is great? First very lightly steam. Very lightly. If your green veg is gray ... well, not my thing. THen slice in half. A dab of butter in the skillet, put the Brussels sprouts in cut side down. Then add a dab of orange juice. For this purpose, concentrate actually works better, but fresh squeezed or bottled in the fridge will work. Only a bit. Then a dab of local honey. Toss. Yumm.

I was just looking into past posts on Brussels sprouts and along with other vegetables a lot people must not have been raised right...

This is absolutely a wrong statement. Suggesting it has to do a failure of one's parents is insulting.

The things I don't like have to do with texture or smell. I have a super-sensitve sense of smell. I also read that those who find even the smell of bananas off putting have inherited that (in other words, it is genetic). I HATE bananas--the smell makes me, well, never mind. I have two friends who have the same problem with bananas. I ate bananas until the age of 20-21 when the smell became an issue for me.

What do you mean by "not raised right"?:ermm:

Seems to me that food preferences are our right, not to be dictated by you or anyone else.

That was kinda my thoughts. mutter, mutter, mutter :wacko:

I would take those lovely brussels sprouts on the stalk, form them into a circle, and replace the evergreen wreath on my front door. I'm kinda crafty.

ooh, with some shellacked pine cones? :LOL:

Don't hate on the sprouts! :LOL:

BTW, Andy, cauliflower was on sale today and I thought of you when I bought a head ;)

I'll be happy if most people are raised to be honest, responsible, respectful, polite and friendly. If they don't like some kinds of food IMO that's their problem, not mine, and it's their loss.

pacanis said:
That was kinda my thoughts. mutter, mutter, mutter :wacko:

ooh, with some shellacked pine cones? :LOL:

Don't hate on the sprouts! :LOL:

BTW, Andy, cauliflower was on sale today and I thought of you when I bought a head ;)

Yes! Forgot about the shellcones! Thanks, Pac!

Maybe some shellcauli....

To be honest, most people don't know how to cook brussel sprouts. There is a fine line to the finished product. Take liver for example, the more you cook it ,the more it tastes like liver! Sprouts are the same. The more you cook them the more bitter they taste. Just cook them through and no longer. Add butter, balsomic vinigar , what ever, just don't over cook.

When it's roasted with EVOO and lemon juice it almost looks shellacked ;)

To be honest some people actually know what they think about certain foods.

I used to live in the south. I hate grits. I was told hundred of times I just hadn't had good grits (whoever said it cooking them was obviously good). I have yet to find a bowl of grits I like.

Brussel sprouts are little balls of evil. At best I hate them, at worst I gag just putting them in my mouth. I don't care how you cook, don't cook, or cover them. I won't eat them, I don't like them and when I become ruler of the universe they will only be served in prisons (but only to people who talk on their cell phones while driving).

FrankZ said:

I used to live in the south. I hate grits. I was told hundred of times I just hadn't had good grits (whoever said it cooking them was obviously good). I have yet to find a bowl of grits I like.

Brussel sprouts are little balls of evil. At best I hate them, at worst I gag just putting them in my mouth. I don't care how you cook, don't cook, or cover them. I won't eat them, I don't like them and when I become ruler of the universe they will only be served in prisons (but only to people who talk on their cell phones while driving).

A man after my own heart.

I'm amazed how many people can't seem to accept the fact that others don't like a certain food they like. Then to blame it on their ignorance of how it should be cooked or flavored to justify their position.

I'm OK with sprouts but can't stand beets or cauliflower regardless of how they are cooked.

Yer just sweet talkin me to get to the bacon. :LOL:

I'm amazed how many people can't seem to accept the fact that others don't like a certain food they like. Then to blame it on their ignorance of how it should be cooked or flavored to justify their position.

I'm OK with sprouts but can't stand beets or cauliflower regardless of how they are cooked.

You guys would not be saying this if you had ever eaten my cauliflower au gratin on grits resting on a bed of brussel sprouts with a side of beets. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom