I had some leftover mashed potatoes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soma

Senior Cook
and today am making biscuits with them... and added some leftover cottage cheese, then flour, bp, salt....no liquids cuz the cottage cheese is pretty wet.
Then I had an inkling to add some crushed potato chips....so rolled only 4 of the biscuits (I may regret doing only 4) in some crushed chips. Here's a pic, about to put these in oven.

PotatoBiscs.JPG

Anyone else love making biscuits?

Ok, we ate some for lunch....they were gluey and chewy, not my favorite kind of biscuit. Too much potato and too much cottage cheese. Oh well, the wild racoons will get a feast tonight.

So, you confirmed that recipe needs work?;) I taught myself to cook by always eating what I made. Trust me, I got good at it real fast!

Craig

Soma said:
and today am making biscuits with them... and added some leftover cottage cheese, then flour, bp, salt....no liquids cuz the cottage cheese is pretty wet.
Then I had an inkling to add some crushed potato chips....so rolled only 4 of the biscuits (I may regret doing only 4) in some crushed chips. Here's a pic, about to put these in oven.

Anyone else love making biscuits?

Nice use of leftovers.

Thanks Craig, but can't eat these again....seems like I'm feeling symptoms similar to gluten-intolerance these days. Can it just start to arise in one's later years? Very sore bellyache now.

or maybe the wild turkeys can eat this? I'm thinking not...the cheese and egg may harm them.

Thanks, Singleton. Do you mean that we could mix the eggplant pieces into the mashed potatoes and fry that together? or do you mean eating eggplant on the side with mashed potatoes?

I don't like the texture of eggplant, and the taste is kind of bland, so I don't usually eat it. I think I've eaten it only half a dozen times in my 64 years. I liked it ok on pizza, with tomato sauce, onions, cheese etc....

Mashed potatoes can make a good filler for crab cakes.

Look up the Spudnuts recipe on line. It uses mashed potatoes to make the best yeast risen doughnuts I've ever eaten. I also use the recipe to make cinnamon rolls and potato rolls. The end result is a pastry, or roll that is so incredibly light, moist, and tender that it is truly amazing.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Look up the Spudnuts recipe on line. It uses mashed potatoes to make the best yeast risen doughnuts I've ever eaten. I also use the recipe to make cinnamon rolls and potato rolls. The end result is a pastry, or roll that is so incredibly light, moist, and tender that it is truly amazing.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

We used to have a Spudnut shop in Laramie, the best donuts ever! Blows Krispy Kreme out of the water!

We used to have a Spudnut shop in Laramie, the best donuts ever! Blows Krispy Kreme out of the water!

Yes they do. And the recipe is easy. I've posted it here before. Its' versatile too. As stated, my DIL intorduced teh recipe to me in the form of dinner rolls. Not knowing what the dough originally was used for, I cut doughnuts from the rolled dough, let it rise, and fried it. I then made cinnamon rolls, and sticky buns from it. I may try and use it for monkey bread, and eventually, for filled doughnuts and long-johns.

Note: I don't add the lemon flavoring to my dough.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Next time you have left over mashed potatoes, try these dinner rolls:

Grandma Snarr's Icebox Rolls

1 cake yeast
1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup lard (or Crisco)
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup mashed potatoes
8 cups flour

Mix well hot potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs and fat. Soak yeast in 1/2 cup water, then add other cup of water and work in 4 cups flour. Beat for 5 minutes, then work in other 4 cups of flour. Knead well until dough is soft. Let rise 1 hour and punch down, then let rise 30 minutes. Form into rolls and let rise in pan for 1 hour. Bake in modest oven for 20 minutes. Can be put in icebox and baked as desired.

Or these potato puffs:

Potato Puffs

1 cup mashed potatoes
½ cup flour
1 egg
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ cup grated cheese (opt)
S&P to taste
3 tbls milk if needed for right texture…a little stiffer than peanut butter

Mix all together and drop heaping teaspoons full into 350 degree preheated oil in skillet. (About 1” of oil,.,enough to float puffs)

Back
Top Bottom