Oven Roasting Bag=DRY! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

little_spoon

Assistant Cook
Sometimes I use a Reynolds Wrap oven roasting bag to roast anything from pork chops to chicken, but whatever the meat, it comes out DRY. I follow the directions as far as using the roasting bag. What am I missing here?

I have used their turkey bags and have never had a problem. Have you checked to make sure your oven is baking at the right temperature? You can check it with an inexpensive oven thermometer. Many ovens are off--sometimes a little, and sometimes a lot. If you find it is off, you can learn to adjust your temperatures and baking times, and you can also have someone come out and regulate it for you. :cool:

Sometimes I use a Reynolds Wrap oven roasting bag to roast anything from pork chops to chicken, but whatever the meat, it comes out DRY. I follow the directions as far as using the roasting bag. What am I missing here?

Not sure, but can I tell you how I use roasting bags when I want a set and forget dinner?

I take out my pretty large rectangular aluminum cooking pan.

Follow me here, please. I puff up the bag and set it on that pan.

Inside the bag, I put in a small cooling rack at the back. This is what the marinaded chicken will sit on. Follow me. Up at the front of the bag is where my frozen green beans and a potato sliced into pieces will go. How do I do position these, you ask? I take a sheet of aluminum foil and make a partition that will sit up front. Just use you fingers and make a mini separation with the foil. Inside the bag on that made partition goes the sliced potatoes, the other partition gets the frozen green beans. I use a stapler and seal up the front of the bag. I poke a hole in the bag.

I set the whole thing in the oven 350F for about an hour. The frozen green beans turn out wonderfully dark green, and the potato slices are nicely cooked. I coat the sliced potatoes with a little butter and sprinkle on some paprika (for color and taste).

I like how it takes about 10 minutes to set the whole thing up and let the oven and bag do the rest.

P.S. I set a knife on the oven rack and use that to make the whole tray tilted up slightly. This allows any cooking juices to collect at the back and not sog out the meal.

For a set and forget meal, it turns out kinda tasty.

Last edited:

Could you elaborate a bit? Time and temp that you are using? Veg in the roasting bag? Any other methods you have tried and felt were unsuccessful?

Details details:)...........

Back
Top Bottom