Hawaiian salt anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
just wondering if anyone uses this stuff, the closest thing ive tasted has been kosher. i get it locally from a little mom and pop japanese store that imports stuff from hawaii.

Yep yep, I have some! My excuse to purchase it was to make Kalua pork. =) I love the coral color of it. I've tasted the black lava salt as well but have not purchased any.

I have and use Hawaiian Sea Salt. Having said that, I can't imagine why it would be any different than any other sea salt. Frankly, I think it's a marketing ploy....."Hawaiian Sea Salt" somehow sounds better than most any other island salt. :huh:

As far at the black Hawaiian salt, be aware that it will discolor your food.

I have and use Hawaiian Sea Salt. Having said that, I can't imagine why it would be any different than any other sea salt. Frankly, I think it's a marketing ploy....."Hawaiian Sea Salt" somehow sounds better than most any other island salt. :huh:

As far at the black Hawaiian salt, be aware that it will discolor your food.

Sea salt is sea salt. Granted, some oceans are saltier than others. And the more romantic the origin sounds like, the more costlier it is. Whether it is garnered from California or Hawaii, it is still the Pacific Ocean. The salt comes from the ocean, not the pink or black sand. :chef:

a much healthier choice!

We've used real sea salt for a couple of months now and will never go back to the refined table salt again! The trace minerals and other supportive parts of sea salt aren't stripped out like table salt.

I happen to appreciate the different types of sea salts and their distinctive flavors. They taste the same about as much as all red wines are indistinguishable and all cheddar cheeses are created equally. :chef:

addie, sea salts are not all the same. there are salts made from almost every body of salt water. mediterranean (france to greece), indian, pacific, atlantic, etc...

different seas have different mineral make ups, and then there's huge differences in the way it is dried, collected, refined, and even smoked that make each salt distinctive.

Last edited:
I agree. Each region has it own strength. Some are saltier than others. But it is the location that sets the price. The process is pretty much the same no matter where it comes from. The only thing I use table salt for now is for baking. I keep course sea salt next to the stove, and a fine one for the shaker. Even my kids have converted to sea salt.

Sea salt started out as a fad for food snobs and high end chefs. But they let the secret out and now the public knows about it and are converting in droves. You really have to use a lot to make a food taste salty, yet just a small amount (even less than table salt) seasons just right. I see blood pressure going down to normal for a lot of folks. :)

actually, the process can get even snobbier (with exceedingly minor difference in quality per price paid) when you consider the collection methods such as fleur de sel and sel gris.

i realize many people have salt saturated taste buds, so the differences when dampened like that are negligible. but if anyone can't really taste the differences, have them give up all salt (or as much as possible) for a few months, than try again.

i have some mediteranian sea salt and the hawaiian tastes better , i am by far a salt expert but the taste difference is huge.

I have never been a big salt user. Most of the time I forget to salt what I am cooking. And I don't even notice it when I am eating it. But I do know I prefer sea salt to table salt. :)

himalayan pink salt is what i sprinkle on most of my foods these days. these beautiful pink colored salt crystals are a form of sea, not mountain, salt.--that would be just too confusing, wouldn't it.

whether roughly ground or fine, this salt brings alive any and every food that it touches. it is said to be the purest of all salts available to us, and is rich in many minerals and iron, harvested from ancient sea beds.

i love the natural and pure taste of my himalayan salt as a table seasoning, and for all manner of cooking and grilling. in flavor, these lovely crystal seem only remotely, very distantly related to ordinary table salt, which i don't ever use any more. i carry my salt grinder with me where i go, i'm so spoiled.... :)

ain't it grand, gotgarlic, when one salt (or garlic or vinegar) fiend meets another fiend! i like your dave's gourmet salt collection--it's all in one container. mine is a set of four, but hey, the salts are simply amazing, aren't they? :)

They are indeed. I also save the salt from bags of pretzels to sprinkle on food. One of my former coworkers thought that was really strange :alien: It's so nice and crunchy!

They are indeed. I also save the salt from bags of pretzels to sprinkle on food. One of my former coworkers thought that was really strange :alien: It's so nice and crunchy!

ATK did a test of measuring the amount of salt that fell off of pretzels. It seemed Utz was the winner for the least amount of salt. Of course that is the brand I always buy. So I measured the amount of salt from a box of pretzel logs. Less than 1/4 tsp. When I can't find Wise potato chips, I buy Utz chips. Again, the salt stays on the chips. And they aren't as salty tasting after a while like other chips. :angel:

All salt is pretty much equally salty.

Many people cannot distinguish the differences between types of salt.

I have a bunch of different kinds of sea salt and can detect the subtle mineral and vegetative flavors. But they ARE subtle.

Back
Top Bottom