Olive Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Do any of you look beyond Italian olive oil? I prefer Greek olive oil. It is not as bitter as Italian. And the Spanish oil left an after taste in my mouth.

I also buy two different type of olive oil. Extra Virgin for salads, and dressing foods at the table and regular olive oil for cooking. I don't use it much for cooking, as it will burn before you can reach a safe level for sauteing. It is not good for searing at all. :yum:

I've been buying "local" olive oil from California Olive Ranch. Great stuff. I use the XVOO for cooking and dressings/drizzles.
Maybe there is something relatively local in your area that you can try.

I've been buying "local" olive oil from California Olive Ranch. Great stuff. I use the XVOO for cooking and dressings/drizzles.
Maybe there is something relatively local in your area that you can try.

We don't have olive orchards on the East Coast. And definitely not in the City of Boston. :huh:

Addie you would like Croatian oil it is peppery like Kalamata. We are lucky family give us 5 gallons of home produced when we drive to Hvar, and my closest friend has inherited 800 trees in Kalamata.:)

I use Dimitri for everything. It is Greek and the there is a fellow that shows up to the local farmers market on Saturdays that sells it. I use it for cooking and salads.

I long preferred EV Spanish olive oil for cold applications. But I've been using Colavita Fruttato as the best flavor available locally. My grocer does not yet stock the whole array of California Olive Ranch, so I don't get the reserve, the varietals or the special blends. For the money, though, Colavita Fruttato is very nice.

I cook with extra light. That puts the smoke point at 460F, right up there near the rapeseed/canola.

This reminds me to have a word with the grocery manager Saturday about getting the range of COR oils.

I'm a little hesitant to say I prefer olive oil from a particular country over others as a blanket statement.

Olive oil producing coountries, it doesn't matter which one, produce great oils, mediocre oils and lower quality oils. It's sometimes difficult to determine if you are comparing A great Spanish oil to a mediocre Greek oil or vice versa.

I'm moving to a preference for domestic olive oils on grounds of consumer confidence. The more I learn, the more I understand why Don Corleone and family were in the olive oil business. So much of it seems to be crooked as a snake. The domestic producers tend to both grow and press their own fruit, and they are so few and so under the eye of places like UC Davis Olive Center that adulteration seems more unlikely. I have no confidence in large international producers and store brands.

But here's an interesting note that suggests that rancid imports have shaped American olive oil taste preferences, leading consumers to reject the characteristics that define good olive oil and largely represent their more beneficial components.

UC Davis News & Information :: Olive oil study shows some consumers like it rancid

And I guess there's a sense of a kind of adventure in exploring the new domestic olive oil production. We're getting into it rapidly in Texas, both down in the Rio Grande Valley, as in the film previewed here:

Texas Olive Trails film preview - YouTube

...and just a few miles from me where they now have viable olive operations going in the Hill Country. I'm going to truck on up to Threadgill's in Austin on the evening of March 26 for the Texas Olive Council's tasting and contest and see how they're coming along. Some of them are just getting their first commercial harvest.

EVOO

I use both EVOO and canola oil. I do not use EVOO for cooking but for salad dressing and general dressing of pasta, not to cook with. I buy what ever olive oil is on sale, especially 1/2 price, as long as it's not from China.....LOL.

I also try to buy domestic olive oil when I can. Some of the oil coming out of California is excellent. Last time I was in St. Helena, I stopped at this little place right off main street that presses their own oil. Good quality oil and inexpensive, too. I wish they did mail order.

Otherwise, I don't have any preference for particular countries. I've had good olive oil from France, Spain , Italy, Greece, and even Tunisia.

Here is a place I've purchased from a few times. It's expensive, but they seem to be as picky about their oil as I am. I've never had anything from them I didn't like.

Olive Oil - Italy - Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Olive Oil - Olio2go - Italy

Like a lot of foods, the taste is a result of where they are grown. What got me started on my quest for an olive oil from anywhere other than Italy, was my daughter-in-laws family. They come from Albania which is north of Greece. Her mother suggested I try Grecian olive oil. She said it is not as bitter as the Italian. I find that a lot of the foods and recipes of Italy are based on bitterness. When I got into a conversation with her she agreed with me about the bitterness. She said it may have to do with their lifestyle. So many of their little villages are located on steep hillsides, their areas of growing foods are on rocky earth. They just have never had an easy way to make a living. Specially in the areas of the volcanoes. And then add their politics to it, it just makes their lives a bit more difficult and uncertain.

I grew up in an Italian part of Boston. We had a great influx of Italians after the war. We had a POW camp of Italian prisoners out at Wood Island. When the war ended most of the prisoners chose to stay here. We also had an Immigration Processing Center, akin to Ellis Island here. They processed immigrants coming from Italy. So when I would go to the homes of my girlfriends, I would hear all the stories of how hard their lives were in Italy. There was always a story to go with the food and why it was made the way it was. It usually was because the Blessed Mother was not looking down of them for some reason. They chose bitter foods because they grew in the wild and were the only thing available. They developed a taste for bitterness.

Greece didn't have it as difficult during the war. They didn't have it easy, just not as hard. And their soil is sweeter than in Italy. As a result, their olives are grown in sweeter soil.

Time to end this lessonn in history. I go on and on.

am i the only one who thought of popeye when they read the title of this thread?

aaa-gah gah gah gah gah gah

well, garshk.

i need some spinachk. (dressed in spanish olive oil, my fave)

Last edited:
Olio Carli is making a name for itself in the us. It is distributed out of Maryland now, but is an Italian oil. There is a slight burn in the throat when tasting it raw (a good sign actually) and is fruity without being sweet. It is direct sale by internet or phone. There ssems to be no real health benefit from the refined olive oils (light etc) may as well use canola.

Robo410 said:
Olio Carli is making a name for itself in the us. It is distributed out of Maryland now, but is an Italian oil. There is a slight burn in the throat when tasting it raw (a good sign actually) and is fruity without being sweet. It is direct sale by internet or phone. There ssems to be no real health benefit from the refined olive oils (light etc) may as well use canola.

I got a great deal on Olio Carli a while back, free shipping and a huge discount compared to prices on Amazon. Seven bottles will last me quite awhile! It is a very nice oil. Oh, I also got a free apron, tea towel, and decanter! :LOL:

Last edited:
am i the only one who thought of popeye when they read the title of this thread?

aaa-gah gah gah gah gah gah

040511+Oliveoyl.jpg

Well, if that's not the picture of extra virgin, I don't know what is.

Back
Top Bottom