Valentine´s Dinner: At Home or Restaurant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Valentine´s Dinner, where are you celebrating: at home or at a restaurant ?

Since it is a week night, we are going to be at home, verses go for tapas however, keeping it simple however, in good taste. I am thinking of Sardegna ( Sardinia ) Cassola, a boulaibaisse of shellfish and fish or Indian Coconut Ginger Prawns.

We both have wings and wheels, and another item to wear, or perfume or trinket, is last thing we both need.

We are driving to Porto in northern Portugal, wine country next Friday morning for a 3 day 2 night wkend.

Yes.

Valentine's Day is going to be especially busy, and stressful, because part of it will be spent consulting with the "powers that be" of the nursing home that Glenn's mother has recently had to be admitted. Those meetings, we've already had several, are unpredictable, stressful and not short. Not how we anticipated spending any part of Valentine's Day.

We'd planned to go out to a new, very highly recommended, restaurant in our area but that will have to happen later in the week.

So, I've regrouped and planned a calm, quiet dinner at home with all the foods Glenn loves. I have plenty of Valentine "love" tricks up my sleeve, not the least of which is a beautiful flower arrangement, candles, my own handmade Valentine napkins, special tableware, etc. He'll be too tired to go out and, frankly, so will I. It'll be plan B for us.

However, the silver lining is that we get to celebrate twice. Nothing wrong with that.

I love going out to a nice steak restaurant for Valentine's Day, or even to our favorite Mexican restaurant. We have no money to go out though, so we will be eating our Valentine's Day meal at home. I'm not sure what yet. If I have to go with what is already in the freezer, it may be beef stew. Our local grocery store has ribeye steaks on sale though, so I may get a couple of those, and cook them along with a couple baked potatoes and a vegetable. :yum:

My birthday is a couple of days before Valentine's day so we go out for that. On the 14th, we'll likely do a roast chicken.

My birthday is a couple of days before Valentine's day so we go out for that. On the 14th, we'll likely do a roast chicken.

Well happy birthday Alix !! :flowers:

My hubby's birthday is today. We had a nice steak dinner at home.

For Valentines we will go to our favorite restaurant for a quiet stress free meal.

MrsLMB said:
Well happy birthday Alix !! :flowers:

My hubby's birthday is today. We had a nice steak dinner at home.

For Valentines we will go to our favorite restaurant for a quiet stress free meal.

Happy birthday, DH of MrsLMB! We'll get Alix on her day!

Last edited:
I love going out to a nice steak restaurant for Valentine's Day, or even to our favorite Mexican restaurant. We have no money to go out though, so we will be eating our Valentine's Day meal at home. I'm not sure what yet. If I have to go with what is already in the freezer, it may be beef stew. Our local grocery store has ribeye steaks on sale though, so I may get a couple of those, and cook them along with a couple baked potatoes and a vegetable. :yum:

You don't need much money to celebrate Valentines day once you have yer sweetie!

A heart shaped cookie cutter and some red food coloring is really about all you need.

Cut some heart shaped deli ham slices for breakfast.

Heart shaped deli cheese slices or roasted red pepper slices for a sandwich.

Red mashed potatoes for the beef stew.

Maraschino cherry juice over some ice cream for dessert.

The main thing is the sweetie! :LOL:

We will be home for Valentine's, I have to work, so too tired to do much of anything and I already got my present from Shrek. I do have to learn how to keep my mouth shut, though...he told me he hadn't gotten me anything, yet. And I just had to tell him of course he did...:ermm:

We usually stay in to avoid the crazy crowds. My partner hinted at a dinner at a local Indian place, a special valentine's day special. I am just getting over the flu, so the thought of Indian food just doesn't sit well....... I don't really like it on a good day...

PrincessFiona60 said:
We will be home for Valentine's, I have to work, so too tired to do much of anything and I already got my present from Shrek. I do have to learn how to keep my mouth shut, though...he told me he hadn't gotten me anything, yet. And I just had to tell him of course he did...:ermm:

I think your fart card said it all. So sweet!

We never go out on Valentines. It's one of the two busiest days in the restaurant world, and bucking the mobs can destroy the mood of the day.

So it will be a quite dinner at home.

We rarely have dessert, but I probably will make heart-shaped chocolate Pavlovas, topped with whipped cream and fresh berries. It's become something of a tradition for me to serve that to m'lady.

not sure yet. we may go back to the restaurant we went to today if their specials are different for v-day, or we may go out for korean bbq, or possibly a steakhouse.

OR, i offered to make a lobster boil at home, with clams, mussels, corn, potatoes, and of course lobsters.

My husbands birthday was this weekend and we celebrated that at a nice restaurant. Valentine's Day has never been a really big deal for us, so we'll stay at home.

Dinner at home for us. I don't care for restaurants on holidays. Limited menu, too many crowds. Did it twice - never again.

It's a work night and also as many have already said, over crowded restaurants don't really make for the best atmosphere and I'd prefer to take out my beloved wife when she does not expect it and when it's peaceful and quiet:) Ok, enough of that soppyness hehe!

I'll be cooking a nice meal at home and my wife will make the desert:)

I'm making an onion tart in a heart shaped pan, Sharon's Tomato and Pancetta soup with the mascarpone cream in a heart shape on top. Shrek should enjoy this for Valentine's.

Back
Top Bottom