Whatcha Got for the Pot, Dinner 13 Feb 2012.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I bought some calf liver yesterday but since we went out for Ethiopian I didn't want to make a big meal too late.

So tonight it is liver with red onion. Mashed taters, some green beans and a salad.

What do you have for your pot today?

That's a good one. I seem to remember this one popping up last year? Anyway, I made it and it was a big winner. I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here. It never goes on sale and I hate paying bloated prices for meat. I usually buy my meat when it is on sale every week. Burger never seems to go on sale. I pass hundreds of cows every day on my way around the valley, but I can't get decent priced ground beef. Frustrating the way things work.

That's a good one. I seem to remember this one popping up last year? Anyway, I made it and it was a big winner. I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here. It never goes on sale and I hate paying bloated prices for meat. I usually buy my meat when it is on sale every week. Burger never seems to go on sale. I pass hundreds of cows every day on my way around the valley, but I can't get decent priced ground beef. Frustrating the way things work.

I have posted it before. It was my first try at a recipe back when that picture was an ad in a magazine. I've been making it off and on since 1959.

It's also the only recipe that I haven't been able to improve on. I've tried, but none of my experiments taste as good as the original.

I picked up a chunk of top round in the clearance bin in the meat dept yesterday. It's a gloomy, cloudy, rainy day today so I'm thinking to chunk it up and make it with barley either into a soup, stew, or baked. Toasted pretzel rolls (store bakery bought) to go with.

I picked up some fresh-off-the-boat Pacific red snapper from Fisherman's Catch, so tonight I'm making Snapper Romano with brown rice, hot buttered carrot coins and a 2009 Le Merlettaie Offida Pecorino

I got this recipe from Chef Kelly Bennett of Scoma's at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Snapper Romano[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Fish[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 Pacific snapper fillets (about 1 pound)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup all pourpose flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs olive oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]salt and pepper to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp garlic, finely chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½[/FONT] tsp lemon juice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs butter, cubed and slightly chilled[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs Mushroom, sliced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs yellow onion, sliced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 scallion, white part only, sliced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼[/FONT] tsp oregano[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups marinara sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup bay shrimp[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]salt and pepper to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Dry fish fillets with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, and sauté until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Fish is cooked through when it flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add garlic to the sauté pan and cook, stirring constantly, until it just starts to get golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and butter and swirl the pan until butter just melts. Add mushroom, onion, scallion, and oregano and sauté until soft. Add the marinara and shrimp and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Plate fish as desired, pour sauce over fillets, and garnish with sliced scallion greens. [/FONT]

NOTE: I also picked up a couple of mahi-mahi fillets, so I will be making Mahi-Mahi in Cocnut Carmel Sauce later this week

Last edited:
I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here

You're certainly not alone in that, Rocklobster. Even worse is what they're charging for bottom cuts----you know, what they used to call the "cheap" cuts.

Anyway, have you considered just grinding your own? Around here, chuck roast often goes on sale, whereas burger never does. So, even if you have to first shell out for a meat grinder, you'll come out ahead in the end. And the grinder has other uses as well.

Fried shrimp (flour, egg, flour again) and deep fried. Just a tossed green salad with tomato, cukes and red onion for a side. Maybe a little garlic bread too.

I spent the better part of today making bagels and bemoaning my mixer's passing so forgot all about dinner.

I think I'm going to do something with pork tenderloin. It's what I have defrosted.

I just wish burger would go for a decent price around here

You're certainly not alone in that, Rocklobster. Even worse is what they're charging for bottom cuts----you know, what they used to call the "cheap" cuts.

Anyway, have you considered just grinding your own? Around here, chuck roast often goes on sale, whereas burger never does. So, even if you have to first shell out for a meat grinder, you'll come out ahead in the end. And the grinder has other uses as well.
I wonder why, on a weekly basis, one or more large stores features a "better quality" cut of beef for sale. Striploin, ribs roasts and steaks, Sirloin. I rarely see the cheaper cuts go on sale. You can pay as much for bones now as you do for steak on sale. What are they doing with this part of the cow that never warrants a sell off?

Oh, and by the way, I have a grinder and have on occasion done that. I am going to start to keep an eye out for sales of meat and start to do it more often. Just lazy I guess....

Had our main meal at noon (I sleep better if I eat a light supper). PUt two boneless pork chops in my food processor with an egg, dried bread crumbs, celery, onion, garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, pepper.

Cooked this in muffin tins for 30 mins (faster than meatloaf). There are 5 left for tomorrow,and I just found out that they're good cold. (ate a half at 3:30PM, while taking this pic)....

porkMeatMuffs.JPG

made these 8 bran muffins this morn, so that will be supper (with yogurt):

BranMuffins.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom