My Dad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I am not going to make this one of my run-on posts - partly because I rushed home for some lunch and will be rushing back to spend time with Dad.

He has taken a huge turn for the worst and we had a meeting this morning with his care team. They are going to do a few tests to see what is happening, but basically we are just going to keep him "comfortable" with pain medication and a sedative. I will be taking a tour of the facility's Hospice unit as that may be the next best step.

I am good. Had a cry with my sister and but am back being the strong one with Dad and the staff. I have heard him talk about how awful he feels and how he is ready to die for quite awhile now. I don't want to lose him, but the man in that bed is NOT my Dad....at least not the one I have fond memories of.

If you could keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers I would appreciate it.

Laurie

Laurie, this is so sad. It's super hard to watch your parents deteriorate due to old age or illness. Your post brought back memories of both my parents' deaths.

You and your dad will be in our thoughts. Know we love you and are here for you.

I lost my dad when I was 11. He died suddenly of a massive heart attack and while it was very hard then, I'm glad that he didn't slowly go downhill. I still remember him as the strong, great guy I knew as a child.
With a tear in my eye, I will be thinking of you

So sad, LP. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I feel for you and your family. Went through similar situation with my oldest brother. Comfortable and surrounded by family and friends is the best thing.

You know how I feel for you, your Dad and for Tony. Don't forget Tony will be hurting, too! Love you guys and my prayers are with you!

Thanks, everyone. You don't know how loved I feel reading your replies.

The care coordinator has arranged for someone to sit with Dad from 9 pm to 7 am because this is his worst time. He is constantly getting up and down in bed (sometimes every 10 minutes or so) and needs help for both. They say once my sister or I have left for the last visit of the day he goes into panic mode. At least if someone is there, he may get some sleep.

I will be getting a tour of the hospice unit tomorrow, in case this becomes an option. They are going to run some blood work and a couple of xrays tomorrow but these are just to see where everything stands at the moment - not because they believe he can be treated.

I am exhausted and going to spend a quiet night with my hubby and pups. My Violet won't leave my side - she is Dad's dog as well and it is as if she knows.

Will they allow the dogs in to visit him, Laurie? Violet may need to go see him, too! It would be good for both of them.

So sorry you are going through this. Having been there myself in the past with both my parents I do understand what you are going through.

The dog visititation is a great idea if it can happen.

Sympathies to you and your family from my family.

Stay strong for now and do what needs to be done.

Your DC family will always be here for you when you need us.

Violet has been up twice to the convalescent care unit where Dad is now. Last time was Monday and she lay at his feet or put her head in his lap. I will have to ask at hospice when I go tomorrow, but there are dogs and cats all over that place.

I am wondering if she is moping because she DID see him feeling so unwell, but they are old soles and I am sure future visits would do mutual good for them.

Dogs are very perceptive, Violet understands what's going on at some level. Spending more time with your Dad at this time would help them both.

I'm so sorry to hear this Laurie. I have never had the pleasure of meeting your dad, but you know how I feel about you and him.

I know what you mean about him not being the man who raised you. That was exactly what we went through with my dad when he got sick.

We are praying for him, and for you and Tony. Give my "boyfriend" a kiss and hug for me and let him know that someone in South Carolina loves and is praying for him.

We love you sweetie. If you need to talk, you know where to find me. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom