Piedmont, Italy: Chicken Marengo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Napoléon Bonaparte defeated the Austrians in a village called Marengo, in southeast Piemonte ( northwestern Italia ). Thus, the townhall and its citizens had named this chicken dish, Chicken Marengo. This dish was cooked by Chef Dunand, who was Napoléan´s personal cook. Uncork a wonderful red Barbaresco and enjoy ...

1 3 1/2 or 4 pound chicken cut into 10 pieces or 10 pieces of chicken cut by the butcher of choice
1 /4 cup flour
2 tblsps butter
1 pound of wild mushrooms trimmed
1 1/2 cups of dry white wine
4 boiling onions chopped finely
fresh chopped parsley
1 cayenne chili or flakes of cayenne

1) sprinkle the chicken parts with salt and pepper
2) dredge in flour and shakeoff excess
3) melt butter with the olive oil and over medium heat, working in batches, sauté the chicken parts until golden - 5 to 7 minutes per side
4) transfer the sauteéd chicken parts to a platter ( keep warm )
5) add the mushrooms and sauté until golden, then add the tomato, onions and wine.
6) return the chicken parts to the pot and cover, cooking 20 - 25 minutes
7) season with salt and pepper
8) uncover pot and cook another 8 minutes
9) sprinkle with parsley

*** serve with crusty Italian style bread and a glass of Barbaresco Italian Piedmont designation red wine

This is one of my favorite dishes that I cook only during the holiday season.

I'm not strictly a traditionalist and will substitute this for the normal Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

The recipe I use is slightly different (poached eggs over French bread croutons fried in olive oil) but it's essentially the same and an exquisite meal! :chef:

Poached Eggs ?

This is one of my favorite dishes that I cook only during the holiday season.

I'm not strictly a traditionalist and will substitute this for the normal Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

The recipe I use is slightly different (poached eggs over French bread croutons fried in olive oil) but it's essentially the same and an exquisite meal! :chef:

Ciao, Good Morning.

Rec´d ur reply. Thanks for posting your view.

M.C.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom