Pork Butt Tips & Tricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Thought I'd ask the pro's here for advice.

Just picked up the Pork Butt I ordered yesterday. It's 7.90Lb's. Has a nice fat cap on it. I've never cooked one before. Don't even know how or what, if any seasonings are needed.

Using the Smoker is out. It's cold and raining here today. Will be tomorrow to.

Can you guys walk me through? I know it takes a while to cook, that's all I do know on the subject. The spice racks are ready :angel:

Thank you

Munky.

First.. set up a large tent over the smoker so you stay dry.... :cool:

A nice rub (tons of recipes on the Internet) but I like to make sure I have paprika, cayenne and dry mustard in it (amongst other things).

225F for about 1.5 hours/LB.

Get it to 195-200F internal and then tent it for half an hour to rest.

Pull it, don't chop it. Take your time and get the fat and boingie bits out. Finish it with a Carolina vinegar sauce (just a little bit). Put the rest of the sauce on the table and offer a mustard sauce too.

Serve with some steamed rice, pork liver hash, fried okra.

If you want melt in your mouth pulled pork, put it in the oven tonight--crank your oven up to 400, stick the roast in, immediately turn it down to 200-225, and let it cook for 12-18 hours. (I am not a good mathematician, but I think that is what Frank is saying, too!)

For a rub, I use about half a cup of brown sugar, couple T of chili powder, and a T of salt. I use a rack in 9 X 13 pan. This makes a dark brown 'bark' (if the BBQ folks will forgive me), very slightly sweet.

If you can get up in the morning and NOT sample some for breakfast, you are a stronger person than me.

Do the whole roast this way--leftovers freeze well, and can be used in sandwiches, tacos, stir fries!

I boil mine with some bay leaves,peppercorns and onion quarted. let simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Cool enough to shred. Shred,season with pepper, cumin 2 oranges squeezed (throw in the rinds too). Add a couple of cups of the boiling liquid and cover with foil. bake in a 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake for an additional 1/2 hour. Toss whit whatever sauce you like.

On edit: On seeing the almost 8lb size, i would only cook half at a time.
It freezes pretty well cooked.

Last edited:
Pork butt

I always have to boil mine for at least 30 minutes just to get my meat soft. Then, I fry it on a pan to have the outside seared to perfection. DeeLish :)

I'm going to my favorite butcher to buy some to make my cousin's New Mexican Green Chile Stew. I'll cut it in a fine dice, brown, then all other ingredients and let it simmer for ... hours. Maybe days.

In a large crock pot, layer sliced onions and place dry-rubbed pork butt on top, layer more onions. Cover and cook on low 12 hours, leave the lid on!!!

Rub for Pulled Pork

2 tsp ground fennel seed
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional)

Mix all together and apply liberally to pork.

When cooked, pull meat apart with forks and fingers. Removing the fat and gristle.

I have my butcher debone mine and then I butterfly it. Make a mixture of dry spinach, feta cheese, roasted and crushed pine nuts, S&P and any other seasonings that come to mind at the moment. Roll it, tie it and roast it at 325ºF. Check internal temp after about 1.5 to 2.0 hours. Depending on size.

It is so dang hard for me to write directions for cooking. I have been doing it for so many years, I now do it by the seat of my skirt. :chef:

Question about the rub?

Can the brown sugar be omitted from the rub? My dieters can't have sugar, or honey that contains sugar. Will sugar substitutes work?

Will it still have that nice bark that people love so much?
Probably not if the crock pot is used?

I've never had pork butt in my life. My Mother didn't like to cook. Dad refused to eat pork of any kind.

Definitely will be making that Carolina sauce. I have a feeling it's a sin if it's not made and slopped on the meat.

Hubby can keep an eye on it while it's cooking tonight.

Munky.

The bark will be created simply by roasting in the oven or in a grill. Not in a slow cooker.

You don't have to rub anything if you don't want to or you can make a rub with no sugar at all.

You can leave the sugar out of the rub. No bark on the slow cooker pork, but it is very good!

We use a Cuban style some times. If you can get the Seville oranges (sour) that is the best way to go. I make a paste of garlic (lots more than 1 head!;)), salt and fresh toasted and ground cumin. The roast is punctured with a paring knife all over to create pockets. Rub the paste all over the roast making sure to force it into the pockets. Thinly slice a couple of very large onions. Put the roast in a plastic bag along with the onions, pour sour orange juice or mojo over roast and refrigerate over night, turning a couple times. Let it come to room temp. Pre-heat oven to 500 F. Remove roast from bag, reserving marinade and pat dry. Place in rack of roasting pan, put in the oven at 500 F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 200 F for 1 hour per pound.

As you get to the end of the cooking time, heat some Spanish olive oil in a sauce pan (amount equal to the marinade liquid) add the reserved marinade with onions. Be very careful as this is going to spatter. This is a mojo sauce for the pork, maybe yucca or a dipping sauce for toastones (double fried, green plantains).

Black beans and rice of course!

Make sure you have leftover roast because this is the best roast pork for Cuban sandwiches!:yum:

We use a Cuban style some times. If you can get the Seville oranges (sour) that is the best way to go. I make a paste of garlic (lots more than 1 head!;)), salt and fresh toasted and ground cumin. The roast is punctured with a paring knife all over to create pockets. Rub the paste all over the roast making sure to force it into the pockets. Thinly slice a couple of very large onions. Put the roast in a plastic bag along with the onions, pour sour orange juice or mojo over roast and refrigerate over night, turning a couple times. Let it come to room temp. Pre-heat oven to 500 F. Remove roast from bag, reserving marinade and pat dry. Place in rack of roasting pan, put in the oven at 500 F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 200 F for 1 hour per pound.

As you get to the end of the cooking time, heat some Spanish olive oil in a sauce pan (amount equal to the marinade liquid) add the reserved marinade with onions. Be very careful as this is going to spatter. This is a mojo sauce for the pork, maybe yucca or a dipping sauce for toastones (double fried, green plantains).

Make sure you have leftover roast because this is the best roast pork for Cuban sandwiches!:yum:

Oh, that sounds absolutely fabulous. I have bookmarked the post. I'll have to give that a try. How do you cook the yucca? I recently noticed that a local supermarket carries yucca.

Just wanted to add that bottled Goya's Mojo Criollo is perfect for this. I'm able to buy it in my local Mexican grocery, however it can be purchased here. Gooooooood stuff!!
Goya Mojo Criollo Marinade, 24-Ounce Bottle (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Oh, that sounds absolutely fabulous. I have bookmarked the post. I'll have to give that a try. How do you cook the yucca? I recently noticed that a local supermarket carries yucca.

Yucca is a pain to peel, lol and is usually covered in wax, but I peel it and chunk it like I would potatoes for boiling. In the center there is a core of very stringy, fibers that must be cut out. Cook in boiling, salted water until tender. Yucca is very starchy and the mojo sauce really cuts it. Cubans also love other root vegis like malanga and boniato (white sweet potato) all are pretty popular in caribbean cooking.

Vaca Frita (fried cow, :LOL:) is a great Cuban beef dish. Looking for a ground beef dish, try Picadillo Cubano, which is great over rice or as an empanada filling.:yum:

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that bottled Goya's Mojo Criollo is perfect for this. I'm able to buy it in my local Mexican grocery, however it can be purchased here. Gooooooood stuff!!
Goya Mojo Criollo Marinade, 24-Ounce Bottle (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

If you can get Kirby mojo, I personally think it is the best of the commercial mojos. They also call it Cuban BBQ sauce. They do sell bottled sour orange "juice". I only tried it once!:( Real Seville oranges have a lot of seeds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom