Udon Noodle Soup with Honey-Soy Grilled Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovesoup

Assistant Cook
Serves 4 people

This wonderful soup is one of my favourite lunch dishes. It’s healthy, hearty, quick to make and also great if you fancy a light dinner. The ingredients really work well together, but this soup also allows you to replace some of the ingredients with your own favourites. If you have a piece of chicken or firm white fish in the fridge which you like to use instead of the salmon, or replace the spinach with for instance bok choy then by all means do. When it comes to the oil, I do love to use the toasted sesame oil. If you don’t have it at home then please buy it and give it a try. It is great for stir frying and makes a beautiful salad dressing too. If you want to make my day, then please use the fresh mint on top. I know that cilantro is very popular as well with these kind of dishes, but I promise you that mint is such a lovely component of this soup and makes it even more yummie. If you prefer to have this soup as your main meal, you may want to use one salmon fillet per person and use a larger portion of udon noodles. I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients

For the Salmon Marinade

2 tbs. of toasted sesame oil (1 tbs. for marinade and 1 tbs. for grilling)

1 tbs. of soy sauce (I use the less salt soy sauce)

1 tsp. of clear honey

For the soup:

1.2L chicken stock

2 salmon fillets

150g udon noodles

150g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced

4 (big) handfuls of fresh spinach leaves

2 tsp. of red thai curry paste

2 tbs. of soy sauce

2 spring onions, sliced

1 lime, cut into four pieces

Small bunch of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped

Preparation

The first thing to do is to marinate the salmon. To prepare the marinade, mix the sesame oil, soy sauce and honey. Place the salmon in a shallow glass or plastic dish, pour marinade over salmon, cover and refrigerate. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes, preferably for 30.

Slice the shiitakes and spring onions. Roughly chop the fresh mint leaves, as it will release its gorgeous aroma and flavor, and if required wash the spinach.

Cook the udon noodles as stated on the package and rinse with lots of cold water and drain. Set the noodles aside.

Pour the chicken stock into your stock pot and bring to a boil. Add the red thai curry paste and stir. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the shiitake mushrooms and the fresh spinach leaves. Simmer for a few minutes and season with the soy sauce.

In the meantime, start grilling your salmon in the grill pan. Don’t forget to use one tbs. of sesame oil, even though it is marinated as it might stick to the pan otherwise. Grill the salmon on both sides until browned but still a bit pinkish inside (about 4 minutes each side). Once removed from the grill pan, cut the salmon into flakes.

Divide the noodles into the soup bowls, ladle the soup on top, add the salmon, sprinkle the spring onions and chopped mint on top and serve with a piece of lime.

Bon Appetite ;-)

Back
Top Bottom