Smoked Trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
39817-albums371-picture4663.jpg

I love trout. I never tried smoked trout because I didn't know if you light the head or the tail. Lighting the head and then ... well that's an unpleasant image... ;)

Good God yes! It's like Fish bacon! Trout is one of my all time favorite eating fishes, gonna set up a cold smoke box to give this a go! Just got done with a bunch of smoked whitefish, and some fatty salmon belly.

oh, yer killin' me tatt!

smoked whitefish and salmon belly? whoo boy, that's some eatin'. a few celery sticks, endive, radishes, carrot sticks, a crusty baguette, and a bottle of wine and you've got a great meal that you can take literally anywhere.

how do you make your whitefish/belly?

i've wanted to smoke trout but i only have a gas hot smoker. i was thinking of trying to brine a few of the upcoming catches, then hot smoking them at 200. fortunately, really low, steady temps are easy with this unit, but it's dry. i was thinking it would be perfect for a fatty fish, something oily.

so please, s&p, recipe and guidance please! the last time i bought good smoked trout was on a roadside shack in saugerties, n.y. a hundred years ago, or so it seems.

Lovely post and photos ... I like Smoked Trout, Smoked Cod Fish and Smoked Salmon ... Smoked Trout used to be quite reasonably priced, however, it is climbing the ladder too ... Here in Madrid Capital, I enjoy it as a Rollito, which means a Smoked Trout Roll or Wrap --- where u roll it with ur fingers to close and look like a roll, and inside it has a spread of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, snipped chive ribbon, a touch of olive oil and fresh cherry tomato slices ... and black olives and capers ... Then, a glass of Mimosa or sparkling wine.
Have nice Sunday.
Margi

Last edited:
Navarran Trout ( La Trucha a La Navarra ) is a stunning dish, fresh wild trout, with Iberian Acorn Fed air dried ham stuffed inside and wrapped around the trout, then dredged very lightly in flour and sautéed in olive oil ... Nice too ... or in oven with white wine --- and the ham wrapped in the cavity and exterior ...

Margi.

smoked trout, smoked whitefish, smoked salmon--all big yayys! but let's not leave out smoked EEL--so fatty, so delicious! but rare to find lately (for me anyway) except for the canned variety. smoked lamprey, also....

Last edited:
@ Vitauta,

Yes ... you have a good palate ! Eel especially and lamprey are very pricey, even in Spain ... Lamprey seasonal availability is around February in the Basque Country, north central Spain, on coast. Most varieties of Smoked fish are truly nice for appetisers ... and a Prosecco to wash it down with ...

I love smoked cheeses too.

Thanks for msg.
Margi.

Good God yes! It's like Fish bacon! Trout is one of my all time favorite eating fishes, gonna set up a cold smoke box to give this a go! Just got done with a bunch of smoked whitefish, and some fatty salmon belly.

I may be wrong, and it might be more likly than I want to think about, but isn't trout usually hot smoked?

Back
Top Bottom