Do you Crème Brulee (Burnt Cream)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Morning,

Firstly, traditional Crème Brulee, Crema Catalana or Burnt Cream was first made in the year 1520, and thus, was documented by the Governing Reigns of that time.

*** Would like to hear all about your versions too ...
How do you prepare ? :chef:

Here is our traditional family recipe:

4 cups whole milk
two 5 cm. cinammon sticks
two 5 inch strips lemon zest ( 1/2 lemon )
6 yolks
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup sugar
a metal Salamandre ( works as a branding iron ) or a Metal Spatula
Clay earthenware oven dessert dishes
a Sieve

1. disslove the corn starch in 8 fl. oz. of regular milk
2. heat rest of milk in deep sauce pan with the cinammon sticks and the zest strips
3. blend the yolks with 8 ounces of sugar and stir well
4. strain the boiled milk through a fine sieve and pour over the egg mixture
5. add the dissolved corn starch mixture and blend well and heat gently stirring in only one direction --- do NOT allow to boil.
6. when it thickens, remove from heat and strain through a sieve. Transfer to a bowl and let cool ( 3 hrs. )
7. when cool, heat the salamandre or metal spatula via stove top fire
8. sprinkle the top of the custard with sugar
9. for caramelizing: with the metal spatula or salamandre, implement a branding to form the thin caramelized layer

Serve with espresso or coffee or tea of choice ... and a cordial of choice.

Kindest regards.
Margi Cintrano.

I make creme brulee all the time!

I have made plain, white chocolate, dark chocolate, orange, and apple flavor!

Never with cinnamon or lemon zest! So many variations

I really REALLY LOVE creme brulee but have never attempted to make it. Also it's very difficult to find a good creme brulee that isn't a total fake out in my area. Maybe I'll try it soon. This doesn't look very hard at all.

I really REALLY LOVE creme brulee but have never attempted to make it. Also it's very difficult to find a good creme brulee that isn't a total fake out in my area. Maybe I'll try it soon. This doesn't look very hard at all.

it really is surprisingly easy. just do not overcook!

I'm with Siegel they are easy,Siegel I'm still in love with the flavor of scraped van/pods so I have never strayed. I like a thick caramel so I use a plumbers blow torch and sugar twice. padeswood 215.jpg

padeswood 219.jpg

Last edited:
It's one of those things that is SO easy, yet people tend to go nuts over it.

One of my best selling versions, was Coconut brulee w/ Candied ginger. We moved between 30-50 a night. simply garnished with a brunoise of candied ginger, and some macerated berries.

While I LOVE it, I think it is easily one of the most overrated desserts. If people only knew how easy it was to make, I am sure a lot of the appreciation would be lost.

Hi all,

First-time poster - still need to do a proper "Hello" in the Introductions forum, but I saw this post and I had to jump in and ask...

For Crème Brulee, do you prefer the custard to be cold, room temperature or warm?

I strongly prefer room temp. For some reason, cold custard drives me crazy. It feels mass-produced, like the restaurant cranked out 100 ramekins that morning, let them sit around in the cooler all day, then carelessly yanked one out and slapped some sugar on it to fill my order. (which I'm sure they did - but it just feels wrong).

Back
Top Bottom