Octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
Kathleen and I went to the greek grocer yesterday. This place is a large wholesaler and has a small retail operation as well.

While we were there she decided we should pick up an octopus. I was a bit hesitant because I know our freezer is fairly full but she was able to convince me with the words "You have never grilled an octopus". Who am I to stand in the way of her happiness. :)

In another thread about octopus I suggested this article and since I suggested it I felt the need to try it this time.

The octopus after rinsing:

30377-albums851-picture4732.jpg

30377-albums851-picture4733.jpg

While it is blanching:

30377-albums851-picture4734.jpg

In the dutch oven to braise. I used greek oragano from our herb garden and some lemon juice along with the juice from the octopus.

30377-albums851-picture4735.jpg

Done braising:

30377-albums851-picture4736.jpg

30377-albums851-picture4737.jpg

I won't be able to grill it today with the rain. I will serve some of it cold on the side with the salad for dinner tonight though.

I usually swim with the octopi I meet... He looks familiar.

How big was that bad boy, Frank?

It turned a really pretty color after it was cooked. You'll have to let us know what the flavor and texture are like. Is it fishy, gamey, sandy/muddy flavored etc.? Is it rubbery, chewy, smooth textured, grainy, etc.?

So we had a small bit with dinner tonight. It turned out fork tender and flavorful (though I might have put a tad too much oregano in the bottom of the pot). A little drizzle of olive oil really went well with it.

The octopus was a little shy of 5 pounds. The grocer has them at $4.09/lb if I recall correctly.

BTW... this was cleaned. No beak. No ink sack.

The end result was wonderful. The texture is a bit more bite to it than a scallop, but less than a lobster although it was not at all rubbery. Perhaps a texture of a large crab leg without the stringiness. It was very tender and we could cut it with a fork. A spritz of olive oil gave almost a silkiness to the texture, which I initially thought was a bit dry. There is no gaminess or fishy flavor to it. It was light in taste and, like a fresh scallop or clam, a bit like the sea. At this point, there are so many things to do with it. Octopus salad. GRILLED octopus with lemon juice and olive oil...etc. :chef:

The end result was wonderful. The texture is a bit more bite to it than a scallop, but less than a lobster although it was not at all rubbery. Perhaps a texture of a large crab leg without the stringiness. It was very tender and we could cut it with a fork. A spritz of olive oil gave almost a silkiness to the texture, which I initially thought was a bit dry. There is no gaminess or fishy flavor to it. It was light in taste and, like a fresh scallop or clam, a bit like the sea. At this point, there are so many things to do with it. Octopus salad. GRILLED octopus with lemon juice and olive oil...etc. :chef:

You're report made it a whole lot less scary Kathleen. I'd be willing to deal with one now, as long it was cleaned like yours.

You're report made it a whole lot less scary Kathleen. I'd be willing to deal with one now, as long it was cleaned like yours.

There is a restaurant in town that has the BEST appetizer of octopus that is grilled over charcoal, and then drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil. I can make a meal on it, but octopus is a bit rich for that. I'm really looking forward to having some of this one made that way. A bit of corn on the cob or potatoes. Some salad drizzled with a Greek dressing. I can't wait. Plus, super healthy!

in a spicy red sauce over pasta

in a fish chowder

grilled with garlic lemon and olive oil

go Asian with ginger soy dipping sauce

so good!

Thanks for the report Kathleen! It's now on my list of things to try. I'm wondering how it would be braised with corriander and lime and then used to fill taco shells. Or served over rice cooked with a little tomato and chili paste. Oooh, or served over plaintains, fried crisped and drizzeled with a red curry and coconut milk sauce. Or maybe in a salad of butter lettuce, cucumber and a spiced, but mild, honey mustard dressing. Actually, I might have to try those with scallops too. Man do I need a paycheck!

Good job Z, I think I said this in another thread. My nephew on Hvar catches Octopi in the winter. The Italian tourist eat it cooked and chopped in salad. We slow roast it in the Peka with potatoes onions and garlic, boil it and use the chopped meat in risotto.
I like it best my way the pic is poor so clic on itpadeswood 027.jpg
Cut your cooked octopus into good chunks, fry chorizo sausage and take out of pot, fry cubes of belly pork and take out of pot, fry onions and garlic add white wine and boil, add chorizo, pork and a tin of san/m toms simmer till pork is nearly tender, add octopus chunks and cook till pork is tender and the sauce is thick.

Serve with crispy roast pots or bread.:yum:

You go ahead and grill some
grilled octopus is a must to order in greek taverns it is very tasty served with some lemon juice on the top and green salad.

wow, i quess i will grill some see food tomorrow :)

lookin' good, frank and kathleen!

when you grill it, since it's already cooked to the proper done-ness, make sure you get it really close to etremely hot coals so as to just char the edges for flavour, not to cook it any more.

like souvlaki said, it's a must order in a good greek diner here in nyc.

too bad you didn't get the ink sack because squid ink pasta is delicious and very cool looking on a plate with red sauce and white fish.

Frank and Kathleen,

Baby Octopus is one of my favourite all time Meze, Tapas and appetisers ... Thanks for posting your recipe ...

If you can get Baby Octopus from your Greek Fish Monger, you shall not have pound so much ...

We enjoy it: Greek Grilled, Pulpo à Feira, which is Galician Iberian Festive Style; festival is Feira in Galician and Baby Octopus Carpacchio in Italy ...

An octopus salad is lovely too. We have octopus season during the summer from the Pontevedra, Galicia northwest Spain region.

Thanks again for lovely post.
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom