Lahmacun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lamejun (spellings differ) is a very thin circle of dough with a finely ground spiced meat mixture applied to it then baked. In my experience, the dough is thinner than a flat bread, similar to an egg roll wrapper. A sloppy joe is a bun that's already cooked topped with a meat sauce that's already cooked. The bread and the meat portions of the sloppy joe are completely different.

images

Sloppy Joe

Lamejun (spellings differ) is a very thin circle of dough with a finely ground spiced meat mixture applied to it then baked. In my experience, the dough is thinner than a flat bread, similar to an egg roll wrapper. A sloppy joe is a bun that's already cooked topped with a meat sauce that's already cooked. The bread and the meat portions of the sloppy joe are completely different.
Thank you. Now we need a recipe.

What language is that word in originally? A language with a non-Roman alphabet?

The region where this food originated uses a Cyrillic alphabet. Thus food and other items often are presented with differing spellings based on phonetics.

Lamejun is common throughout the Near East. My background is Armenian so to me it's an Armenian dish. If you look at the Rick Stein version and check out a YouTube video, he talks about its being a Turkish street food.

The truth is, foods don't recognize political borders and travel freely around a region. Lamejun is part of Armenian, Turkish and other cuisines. The same applies to other regional foods such as paklava/baklava which is often presented as a Greek dish. It's not a Greek or Armenian or Turkish dish. It's a regional dish. Sometimes it's made with a honey based sauce and pistachios and sometimes with a simple syrup and walnuts. Dolmades is a dish in Greek cuisine - stuffed grape leaves often topped with a lemon sauce. Dolma is an Armenian dish of stuffed grape leaves topped with a yogurt sauce. Similar but different.

The region where this food originated uses a Cyrillic alphabet. Thus food and other items often are presented with differing spellings based on phonetics.

Lamejun is common throughout the Near East. My background is Armenian so to me it's an Armenian dish. If you look at the Rick Stein version and check out a YouTube video, he talks about its being a Turkish street food.

The truth is, foods don't recognize political borders and travel freely around a region. Lamejun is part of Armenian, Turkish and other cuisines. The same applies to other regional foods such as paklava/baklava which is often presented as a Greek dish. It's not a Greek or Armenian or Turkish dish. It's a regional dish. Sometimes it's made with a honey based sauce and pistachios and sometimes with a simple syrup and walnuts. Dolmades is a dish in Greek cuisine - stuffed grape leaves often topped with a lemon sauce. Dolma is an Armenian dish of stuffed grape leaves topped with a yogurt sauce. Similar but different.
I used to buy stuffed grape leaves from a tobacconist/newspaper store when I lived in a Greek neighbourhood. They were made by the Armenian lady who owned the store. They were really yummy, though she didn't put yogourt. She called them dolmadakia or dolmadekia.

I'll post up the Rick Stein recipe I used from his book. Its not a sauce. Its more like the meat from a donner kebab, it cooks quite firm.

Thanks for enlightening me about a sloppy joe. I learn so much here.

When I visited Istanbul, Turkey, the tour guide told us that many dishes around the Mediterranean and Black Sea areas are so similar because the sultan and soldiers of the Ottoman Empire took originally mostly Turkish area dishes with them as they traveled and conquered. The same recipes were made with local ingredients, so stuffed grape leaves with spiced meat and rice became stuffed cabbage leaves with different seasonings.

I'm fascinated by stories where history and foods intersect.

ottoman-empire-1580.gif

Gravy Queen: Love Lamb

Good Evening,

This Rick Stein recipe looks like a great lunch ... Shall be giving this a try for sure ...

Puglia, has an extensive lamb culture ... as Abruzzi and Umbria.

Thanks for posting and look forward to making it ...

Ciao. :chef:
Margaux.

Back
Top Bottom