Girls night out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Well, more like day time BBQ/picnic for 11-12 year old girls and their mothers. Main foods are hamburgers, maybe hot dogs. We will try to put out as many fixings as possible, here is tentative list:
Onions
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Pickles
Mushrooms
Peppers
Sautéed mushrooms
Sautéed onions
Crispy onions
Guacamole
Chili
Pesto
Ketchup
Mustard
Dijon mustard
Mayonnaise
Salsa
Thousand island dressing
Ranch dressing
Onion dip
BBQ sauce
Relish
Pineapple
Jalapenos
Question is like this, do we need to make salads? What kind of salads. The picnic is going to be in a part, so no kitchen, but we can make everything ahead of time, but I do not want to make too much stuff because I'm sure all the mommies are on a diet. Like I was thinking corn on a cub, but my wife doesn't think it will fly with ladies.
Please help me out. No Dairy please.

You already have lettuce, tomatoes, etc. If someone wants a salad they can make it from the fixings. Just shred the lettuce a little more than you would for a burger and provide some extra.

Mediterranean Array of Park Goodies

Good Evening Charlie,

Some things not yet mentioned:

Green Goddess Salad Dressing

*** Olive Assortment ( Black Kalamata, Green and Nicoise varieties ) : on toothpicks or skewers with pickles for example

Caponata - Eggplant, capers, olives, tomatoes

Pistoú

*** Falafal in Pita ( to serve as a vegetarian hamburger substitute ) & is okay to eat at any temperature

Breadsticks, Pita, Buns for Burgers - assorted breads and crackers

If I can think of anything else when I arrive home, I shall post tomorrow.

Dessert ? Home made Cookies ?

Kind regards,
M.C.
Capers

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I was going to say, please feel free to comment on the topicks too. Honestly i do not know how many people it could be anywhere from 30 to 60-70. We have not gotten any responces yet.

Charlie,

I just thought of this, A Spanish Omelette, which is a frittata prepared with: ( for those who do not eat red meat )

Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil )
onion filling
Eggs
potato filling
Salt and pepper

** A drizzle of ketchup and some bread ...

Teens tend go for this ...

MC.

With burgers and dogs, you might consider beans, potato chips, cold potato salad, coleslaw, deviled eggs. All of these things transport well.

I agree with Andy about too many fixings. Most things of this type I've been involved with, they might have ketchup, mustard, and pickles. Sometimes onions, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Last edited:
I might throw some white meat chicken on the grill, for those who doesn't eat red meat, no knishes though, no place to buy read meat ones and I am not making them myself.
What can I get rid of on the list? We are trying to make it interesting and special for a special birthday. Bat Mitzvah.

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
What can I get rid of on the list?

Onions..........
Ok
Lettuce........ Ok
Tomatoes..... Ok
Pickles ......Ok
Mushrooms...... No
Peppers....... No
Sautéed mushrooms...... No
Sautéed onions...... No
Crispy onions..... No
Guacamole..... As a dip
Chili..... No
Pesto...... No
Ketchup....... Ok
Mustard ......Ok
Dijon mustard.... Mmmm Ok
Mayonnaise......... Ok
Salsa........ As a dip
Thousand island dressing NO
Ranch dressing As a dip
Onion dip .......As a dip
BBQ sauce No
Relish For Hot Dogs
Pineapple......... No
Jalapenos ......For Hot dogs

A good/large assortment of chips, and dips.
Maybe some tator salad.......
Maybe some Baked Beans......
Maybe some Slaw.......

Fun!

Last edited:
Concentrate on making quality burgers, and hot dogs/polish sausage/bratwurst, on good buns, with just enoough condiments to dress the sandwiches. Go for ketchup, a couple kinds of mustard, cold mayo, maybe some juicy col slaw. If you want to go a little upscale, avocado slices drizzled with lemon juice to keep them green, some melon salad with watermelon, cantelope, and blueberries. A good and cold three bean salad is always a hit.

Serve cheese that are flavorful, but not too strong, like sliced Havarti, or Gruyere, or Muenster. Swiss is always good on a burger as well.

Gaspacho is great for picknic style lunches, as are cold, fruit soups.

If the ladies are truly watching their weight, then stay away from chips. Rather serve a variety of good nuts.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh, yeah, I was going to say, please feel free to comment on the topicks too. Honestly i do not know how many people it could be anywhere from 30 to 60-70. We have not gotten any responces yet.

It would be nice if they had some consideration to at least R.S.V.P. 30-70? That's a lot of work, time and expense for you. Don't take it personally. That's just a pet peeve of mine. Nothing is worse than not knowing. It's rude!

I'd say if your on a diet bring your own. Especially if your one that just shows up at the last minute. That will learn em'. Keep it simple as possible.

Munky.

I would agree with Uncle Bob's recs. Grilled pineapple for dessert might be good.

Last edited:
Charlie did say "No Dairy" that leaves out the cheese.

Yes, Charlie, I meant don't make a special lettuce type salad, you already have the ingredients there in your list. If someone want one they can make it.

Sauerkraut - if you serve hot dogs

Other ideas:
(Pink) lemonade, iced tea

Gazpacho - (in thermoses) for the Adults

If you have a clear glass bowl or trifle dish - Layered salads: pasta, fruit or vegetable.

i.e. Layered pasta salad: Bow-ties/farfalle, tomatoes, red onion, black olives, garbanzo beans, mushrooms, cucumbers w/ vinaigrette dressing

Layered fruit salad: Melon - cut up cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, blueberries,strawberries with a honey lime dressing and/or mint

Or fruit kabobs for the kids

Chocolate chip cookies (brownies - already menttioned)

Watermelon granita in orange or lime cups. Hollow out the oranges or limes & fill with granita.

Have a great time!

Well, more like day time BBQ/picnic for 11-12 year old girls and their mothers. Main foods are hamburgers, maybe hot dogs. We will try to put out as many fixings as possible, here is tentative list:

Question is like this, do we need to make salads? What kind of salads. The picnic is going to be in a part, so no kitchen, but we can make everything ahead of time, but I do not want to make too much stuff because I'm sure all the mommies are on a diet. Like I was thinking corn on a cob, but my wife doesn't think it will fly with ladies. Please help me out. No Dairy please.

The wife is right. If they have dentures, they will feel embarrassed trying to eat it. And that would require butter for the cob. No Dairy. I know it would be a big hit with the kids.

Chief, I don't think the sausage is a go. This food is for Ultra Orthodox Jews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom